[Wittrs] Re: Did Religion Affect the Tractatus?

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:19:11 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "J D" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> > So Christian spirituality may indeed have a higher place in Tractarian
> > thought compared to other kinds of metaphysics.
>
> Not only Christian but Indian religious thought as well could have
> significance, given what he would have absorbed via Schophenhauer and given
> his enthusiasm for the works of Rabindranath Tagore.
>
> And though I know of no evidence to support any historical link, the Jewish
> thought of Moses Maimonides has some strong affinities with Tractarian
> thought.

The whole limits-of-knowledge thing I've always taken to be evidence
of the impact of concurrent phenomenology, more than religion.

OTOH Einstein's thought is often (self-)described as being influenced
by Spinoza, in the direction of monism, again, not particularly religous.

I thought that Wittegenstein's contact with eastern thought came
rather later than TLP, but even that is not *religious* as such,
but more natural and less (neo-)platonistic.  More Indian afaik
than Chinese, but along the lines of Zen.

Josh