[Wittrs] Re: Did Religion Affect the Tractatus?

  • From: "College Dropout John O'Connor" <sixminuteabs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 01:38:13 -0400

So, the important points would be:

1.  My work consists of two parts: the one presented here plus all that I have
not written. And it is precisely this second part that is the important one.

Another important work compliments the TLP.  And W did not write it.

2.  My book draws limits to the sphere of the ethical from the inside as it
were, and I am convinced that this is the ONLY rigorous way of drawing those
limits. In short, I believe that where many others today are just gassing, I
have managed in my book to put everything firmly into place by being silent
about it.

Curious.  Are they gassing in the other, important work?  What do they say that
W remains silent about?

3.  And for that reason, unless I am very much mistaken, the book will say a
great deal that you yourself want to say. Only perhaps you won't see that it is
said in the book. For now, I would recommend you to read the preface and the
conclusion, because they contain the most direct expression of the point of the
book.

What is the preface and conclusion?  Prop 1 & 7?  The foreword and the last
several propositions?  What is that point?

The world is everything that is the case.  Whereof one cannot speak, thereof
one must be silent.

There are propositions about how nothing man utters can be unlogic or whatever.
 And that how it used to be said God could create anything but unlogic.  And
how tautologies and contradictions are as much as a part of logic as anything
else.  And how the world is everything that is the case and whereof one cannot
speak thereof one must be silent.

And this is what is highlighted with such profundity in the Lecture on Ethics-
which is straight from the proverbial lion's mouth (and not second hand).

There is one other 'clue' that was essential, e.g. that when W was attempting
to have the TLP published, an editor came back to him and asked if they could
publish it without the numbers. W responded that his work would lose all value
if that had been carried out, and so declined.

So let's get back to important books that W did not write.  That relates to
ethics?  And have something to do with numbers?  The specific number 7 may be
of some import...

Philosophy is an activity.  And its product is not new propositions, but the
elucidation of propositions.

Surely you can see?
--
He lived a wonderful life.