Re: [Wittrs] Wittgenstein and Philosophy of Hair

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 14:53:48 -0800 (PST)

(Kirby)

... I wasn't sure if he was Wittgensteinian (friendly?). He appealed to the
idea of "family resemblance" in the blog. I don't know who he is (which doesn't
mean anything, given what I know about who people are). But my sense of all of
this boils down to this: once you become insightful enough to see family
resemblance issues right away -- once you have learned that Wittgensteinian
inheritance -- it becomes very easy to see why "hair" could seduce philosophers
into thinking something about it needed solved. In point of fact, of course,
all one would do is catch the sense of the idea in play or alert the
interlocutor of the fact that he or she is lacking such radar.

And once you do this with family resemblance, think about what it is like when
all of the Wittgensteinian inheritances become learned skills. You come to see
grammar and culture in action right before your eyes. Instantly, a whole store
of philosophical problems become exposed for being false. Wittgenstein really
never taught us anything by way of beliefs to sell to one another: he merely
taught how to be more insightful than others. He showed, in a way, how to think
at a more acute way about qualitative issues. How to think about what something
means, what it all adds up to, etc.

This is the way that I will approach my Wittgenstein course next quarter.
Skills, not information. You want to see if the students can do it, not that
they would know about it. I should want to call the course, "Karate," but I'm
afraid I can't do that.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
[spoiler]Assistant Professor