Re: [Wittrs] When is "brain talk" really dualism?

  • From: "blroadies" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:19:46 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gerardoprim" <gerardoprim@...> wrote:

> (Glen) As Skinner was fond of saying, the problem with "mental"
explanations is not that they are mental, but that they are not
explanations.
> (Bruce) Depends, doesn't it? Reasons work. "Why did you fall asleep? "
"Because I wanted to rest." But a reason may not explain. "Hold on, you
fell asleep while driving." To explain this behavior, we need a cause.
> (Gerardo) That´s exactly the problem. Reasons and causes are part
of different language games.

Without question. My question: Are there contexts in which the "reason"
is the preferred exlanation?

bruce