[C] [Wittrs] Re: Film about the Tractatus?

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:33:27 -0800

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anyone know anything about a 1992 Hungarian film called Wittgenstein
> Tractatus, made by Peter Forgacs? One assumes it's a classroom sort of thing
> and not a movie in the theatrical sense? I had never heard of it and was just
> wondering.
>
> Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittgenstein_Tractatus
>
> Regards
>
> Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
> Assistant Professor
> Wright State University
> Personal Website: http://seanwilson.org
> SSRN papers: http://ssrn.com/author=596860
> Discussion Group: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html

I am not aware of this movie.

However, I have recently come across a complete musical rendition of
the Tractatus.

A gentleman in Vienna brought it to my attention.

Here is some background information:

"""
M.A. Numminen has not belonged to any specific label after Love
Records was dissolved in 1979 following a bankruptcy. His own Forward!
label only publishes records when Numminen can afford it; after all,
he both owns and finances the company. Nevertheless, in 1989 Numminen
accomplished a valuable cultural act by recording and publishing anew
his Tractacus Suite to commemorate the centennial of Ludwig
Wittgenstein's birth.
However, the last piece in the suite, a spunky march Wovon mann nicht
sprechen kann ('What we cannot speak about we must consign to
silence'), was not re-recorded. Instead, Numminen used its original
version, recorded in 1967 with the Sohon Torwet brass band at Turku
University student café. Routledge, the British publishing house which
has published several Wittgenstein's works, became interested in
Numminen's new product. As a consequence, the new Tractatus Suite was
sold and promoted by Routledge in London as well as in its 1990
catalogue. The introduction to the suite goes like this: "... While
majoring in sociolinguistics, Mr. Numminen in his student days also
delved into philosophy under the tutorship of Prof. Eric Stenius, an
authority on Wittgenstein..." The General Form of a Truth-Function,
one of the Tractatus Suite songs, was accompanied by a self-made
low-budget music video. The video has been reviewed in various short
film festivals both in Finland and Germany. M.A. Numminen and Pedro
Hietanen have also created a duo version of The Tractatus Suite. In
the duo version the fifth song is replaced by the music video. The duo
version has been performed several times around Europe, for example
during the Vienna Festival in Vienna, Austria.
"""{

Links:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2016850/the_world_.mp3  (full English version,
link may be transitory)