[C] [Wittrs] Re: Bound by Constitutional Text?

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: metalaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, conlawprof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:19:52 -0700 (PDT)

Chris.

As I understand the matter, this is your claim: when language is ambiguous or
capable of different senses, that its true meaning (or correct sense) can be
found in "historical context." Although we need examples to flush this out, I
have two basic replies.

The first is that this only works with polysemy. Short of that, one would need
to have the details of what you are calling "context" spelled out in law so
that

it, itself, can be enacted. Secondly,  I see no practical difference between
how

one thinks of "intent," "context" or "expectation" when talking about what "the
law is." All of these "mind terms" are subject to the Scalia principle (for
statutes). Lawmakers never enact their their subjective intentions,
assumptions,

contexts, etc. They only enact language. Therefore, if a generation passes a
law

containing very general words, yet actually means something specific, it is not
the specific thing that is the law. Instead, the specific thing is merely the
favorite CHOICE (for that epoch) of the thing that is enacted.

Examples.

(a) The framers pass a law that says, "republican government requires civic
virtue." (See prior mail). If our cultural arrangement becomes more Roman, the
sense of virtue could change over time, because the framers had never enacted
their cultural arrangement into the sentences that form this law. The same is
true if our culture becomes more pious. Because both a roman sense of virtue
and

a pious sense are within the family resemblance of "virtue," either can be
reasonably said to be the meaning of "virtue" in our language arrangements.

(b) The framers say, "children in public schools shall be provided lunch." The
framers have in mind corn, milk and other staples of 18th century midday
nourishment commonly given to children. If the sense of "lunch" changes over
time and some children are given vitamin bars, the law is not violated, because
the framers have only placed the "lunch concept" into law.

To enshrine a context into law, you need to pass extremely complicated
sentences

(legalisms). And inasmuch as constitutions are sort of "the law for the
law-making process," my sense is that enshrining a cultural regiment or
protocol

would never work. It seems only to work with passing concepts and ideals.

What I want to say here is this: Constitutions and Wittgenstein seem made for
each other.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor