Re: [Wittrs] Lectures and Answers to Problem-Set

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 19:18:41 -0700 (PDT)

... will talk more about precision next time. The only point I made last time
was that, sometimes, a term can be used with a sharp boundary, and sometimes it
can shed the boundary. "Bachelor" can be a rule or a resemblance, so long as
both remain communicative. I gave three examples of how membership in a family
resemblance can be "sawed off" (closed):

1. Sharp Boundaries:
http://ludwig.squarespace.com/lecture-topics/2012/4/5/37-sharp-boundaries.html

2. Professional v. lay vernacular:
 http://ludwig.squarespace.com/lecture-topics/2012/4/5/39-lay-v-professional-sense.html

3. Exemplar-Sense. "Now that's a cigar!"
 http://ludwig.squarespace.com/lecture-topics/2012/4/5/38-exemplar-sense.html

When answering a question, I also talked about how some terms don't grow very
big families. The term "acidosis," e.g., has only two senses that I can think
of. This is because it is scientific jargon, and those terms resist family
resemblance more than other kinds of terms. We'll pick that subject up next
time.

If that didn't answer your question, I'd be glad to try again.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
[spoiler]Assistant Professor
Wright State University
Personal Website: http://seanwilson.org
SSRN papers: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=596860
Wittgenstein
Discussion: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html [/spoiler] ;

Author: scurrvydog
Date: Thu, 05 April 2012 21:21

Was the point of last nights lecture "precision in terms and definitions"?  It
keeps running around in my head and I want to relate it to aircraft
maintenance.

** Note: This message was forwarded to Wittrs by the Editorial Board, so that
members might enjoy or comment upon it. This is a common practice. If the
message came from another list or rss feed, the link(s) should appear above. In
such a situation, the original author may not see your reply. Members of Wittrs
are encouraged to visit the link(s)that are fed here.