[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 122

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 28 Jan 2010 04:26:33 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

Messages

1.1.

The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett-Consistent Philosophies of Conscious

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:33 am (PST)

SWM wrote:

>Joe raised the question of whether Dennett's model implies
>epiphenomenalism, a claim I have denied. I took a little time to use
>the Internet to see what Dennett himself may be on record as having
>said about this. I found an interview of him that looks authentic (the
>words ascribed to him sound very much like him) though I can't vouch
>for it at this juncture. Nevertheless, assuming this is a legitimate
>record of Dennett, himself, on the subject, I thought I'd just let him
>speak for himself:

>http://meaningoflife.tv/transcript.php?speaker=dennett

in both cases, Dennett's is working a scam, the philosophical equivalent
of Three-Card Monte as played by a street hustler.

the interviewer presents Dennett with the traditional meaning of
'epiphenomenal'. Dennett replies that 'epiphenomenal' really means X and
that he rejects X. that leaves exactly where we were, wondering how
Dennett measures up against the traditional meaning of 'epiphenomenal'.

of course, the relevance of the allegation of Dennett's epiphenomenalism
to the claim that Dennett's philosophy of consciousness is incompatible
with the von Neumann Interpretation of QM, is that (after von Neumann
removes Dennett's brain from Division III) there is nothing left that is
causally effective to collapse the wave function.

you seem to be ocillating between two positions.

the first is that, even after Dennett's brain is removed from von
Neumann's Division III, there is still something left that is causally
effective. however, the only thing left after removing Dennett's brain
would be the self; but, in Dennett's view that is a ficticious entity
that serves as the narrative center of gravity in a story the absent
brain tells the physicist: I collapse wave functions.

the second position is that there is nothing non-physical about the
self. recent claims you've made have advocated this view, including:

[SWM]: The question is not whether the "I" is causally effective (we all
go through life presuming it is). The question is how can it be if it
isn't a physical thing in the world? And the answer is that it IS
physical --

>[Joe] in essence, to establish the causal efficacy of the mind, you
>have to break the causal closure of the physical. Does Dennett do that?
>do you?

[SWM]: My view (and I think it's consistent with Dennett's) is that
there is no causal closure as you describe since there is no separate
mental entity, only what brains (and any equivalent platforms) do.

taking this second tack will avoid the allegation of epiphenomenalism.
if there is nothing left once Dennett's brain is removed from Division
III; then, there is nothing left that can challenge the causal closure
of the phyical. in particular, there is nothing left to collapse the
wave function.

on the other hand, if after removing Dennett's brain, Dennett is still
able to crank out philosophical verbiage as a narrative center of
gravity (CoG), you would have to explain how the CoG Dennett is not
epiphenomenal --- how it can break the causal closure of the physical.

otherwise, CoG Dennett just doesn't have what it takes to collapse a
wave function.

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

1.2.

Re: The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett-Consistent Philosophies of Consc

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:29 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:

> SWM wrote:

<snip>

SWM:
> I thought I'd just let him
> >speak for himself:
>
> >http://meaningoflife.tv/transcript.php?speaker=dennett
>

> in both cases, Dennett's is working a scam, the philosophical equivalent
> of Three-Card Monte as played by a street hustler.
>
> the interviewer presents Dennett with the traditional meaning of
> 'epiphenomenal'. Dennett replies that 'epiphenomenal' really means X and
> that he rejects X. that leaves exactly where we were, wondering how
> Dennett measures up against the traditional meaning of 'epiphenomenal'.

The issue is whether one can coherently take the view of epiphenomenalism that his interlocutor does. I'm not convinced his critique is right, as far as it goes and given its dependence on his conception of consciousness, but it is certainly worth considering.

> of course, the relevance of the allegation of Dennett's epiphenomenalism
> to the claim that Dennett's philosophy of consciousness is incompatible
> with the von Neumann Interpretation of QM, is that (after von Neumann
> removes Dennett's brain from Division III) there is nothing left that is
> causally effective to collapse the wave function.

This depends, again, on the understanding of what a mind is. If we remain hung up on the entity picture then we can't stop looking for an entity that isn't an entity (because it is subject, not object). But if we can once disengage from this rigid dependence on this "entity" picture, then we can explain mind in quite another way, a way that doesn't require it be thought of as identical with a brain (indeed, Dennett's view emphasizes multiple realizability which, if minds were identical with brains, would make no sense at all), and yet it is still physical in derivation, still a part of the physical universe.

> you seem to be ocillating between two positions.
>
> the first is that, even after Dennett's brain is removed from von
> Neumann's Division III, there is still something left that is causally
> effective. however, the only thing left after removing Dennett's brain
> would be the self; but, in Dennett's view that is a ficticious entity
> that serves as the narrative center of gravity in a story the absent
> brain tells the physicist: I collapse wave functions.

In Dennett's view the self is a part of a process-based system running on a physical platform that is, of course, capable of running it. (Capacity matters -- see his point about massively parallel processing.)We know brains are capable (have sufficient capacity). Dennett theorizes that computers would be, too, if they can replicate the functionalities (the things accomplished) that brain processes achieve. And, of course, he proposes that they should be able to do that.

Your insistence on attending only to the "fictitious" idea of a self misconstrues Dennett's notion of "fictitious" in this context since he is not saying we don't have a self but that our "self" is really just the outcome of a lot of complex processes that are, in their constituent parts, entirely unself-like.

Finally, the point is that on Dennett's model we don't have to explain the self or the "I" as some non-physical point of fairy (or other) light. The self is a complex of many activities occurring in the larger system the brain is running.

> the second position is that there is nothing non-physical about the
> self. recent claims you've made have advocated this view, including:
>
> [SWM]: The question is not whether the "I" is causally effective (we all
> go through life presuming it is). The question is how can it be if it
> isn't a physical thing in the world? And the answer is that it IS
> physical --

Right. Your point? I have been very clear here about what I mean by "physical". Is the turning of the wheel less physical than the wheel that is doing the turning?

> >[Joe] in essence, to establish the causal efficacy of the mind, you
> >have to break the causal closure of the physical. Does Dennett do that?
> >do you?
>
> [SWM]: My view (and I think it's consistent with Dennett's) is that
> there is no causal closure as you describe since there is no separate
> mental entity, only what brains (and any equivalent platforms) do.
>
> taking this second tack will avoid the allegation of epiphenomenalism.

You see that then?

> if there is nothing left once Dennett's brain is removed from Division
> III; then, there is nothing left that can challenge the causal closure
> of the phyical. in particular, there is nothing left to collapse the
> wave function.

This depends on what one means by "the collapse of the wave function". You have made this particular formulation a kind of mantra here but have not explicated it. But others have and this "collapse" turns out to be nothing more than a settling of an indeterminate measurement into a determinate one. For that you don't need a self that is outside of the physical domain!

I am still waiting, by the way, for you to explicate what you mean by the "abstract I". What is it and how does it differ from the non-abstract kind?

> on the other hand, if after removing Dennett's brain, Dennett is still
> able to crank out philosophical verbiage as a narrative center of
> gravity (CoG), you would have to explain how the CoG Dennett is not
> epiphenomenal --- how it can break the causal closure of the physical.

Are you suggesting that minds persist without their physical platforms, without their brains? If so, then you are at least taking dualism to its logical conclusion, even if there is absolutely no evidence for such a conclusion and no reason to posit it.

> otherwise, CoG Dennett just doesn't have what it takes to collapse a
> wave function.
>
> Joe

See above.

I think it is high time you fully explicated what YOU mean by "collapse a wave function" as well as the "abstract I". For too long you have persisted in this debate by relying on unexplicated terms or by offering explications that are as obscure, if not more obscure, than your original uses. If you want to clarify matters, which is the point of philosophy, then you have to give up this overreliance on obscurantism.

SWM

1.3.

Re: The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett-Consistent Philosophies of Consc

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:

> > What do you think is missing in any of their accounts or in the
> > accounts of other philosophers I haven't named?
>

> As I said in my previous post, "Science is very prolific in coming up
> with new concepts, and philosophy does not seem to study why or how.
> Perhaps it doesn't even notice."

Prolific in new concepts? I'm not sure I see how that can be a defining characteristic of science. Lots of folks, including philosophers, have been prolific in that way. But just coming up with lots of new ideas isn't a methodology is it? And certainly it isn't unique to the sciences.

You add that "philosophy does not seem to study why or how." I'm also not sure what you have in mind here. Do you mean why and how things happen in the world? If so, that would be because such questions would be the province of the sciences which is their field of operation after all. But if you mean the "why" and "how" of why science "is . . . prolific in coming up with new concepts" then I think that would depend on 1) a belief that that IS a defining characteristic of science and 2) a belief that we need to answer such a question for that defining characteristic. Since I don't grant the first, I wouldn't expect philosophy to seek to answer the second, however certainly any philosopher studying science who grants the first would be likely to pay attention to the second. I think it was Popper who proposed the necessity of making bold conjectures and then submitting them to rigorous challenges to see how much of them survived and/or what adjustments needed to be made.

<snip>

> > Yes, science is like any empirical inquiry in that sense. How is
> > it different?
>
> Science is far more creative.

So then you are arguing that creativity is the criterion by which science must be defined? Yet can we not have scientists, perhaps merely the run-of-the-mill variety who aren't highly creative yet still doing science, still engaged in scientific research programs? Perhaps their contributions will not be great but surely the work of the truly creative theorists must rest, to some degree, on the shoulders of lesser toilers in the field, the ones who do the scut work of data collection and compilation (perhaps under the direction of more creative types).

Again, I don't see how creativity can be considered a criterion for doing science even if it is desirable in scientists. After all, artists are creative to varying degrees and even the occasional philosopher is!

> > At least in my view it involves the systematic collection and testing
> > of data about real world occurrences against formulated hypotheses.
>
> Sure, but only because "involves" is a weak assertion.

I chose it because I didn't want to say it is exclusively that!

> Kuhn thoroughly
> debunked the view that science could be explained with that kind of
> account.
>
> Regards,
> Neil

I have to plead ignorance of Kuhn, having only seen him alluded to in other forums and having read only the occasional excerpt from him provided on sites like this. As I recall, he is somewhat in the Popperian tradition, is he not? Can you provide a brief statement (with a link if you like) to Kuhn's own account of what science entails?

Surely it cannot be only a call for creativity! That is a highly desirable quality in people and, especially, in those doing intellectual work. But it is not exclusive to science nor, because of that, can it be seen as exhaustive of what science must be about or as being essential to its definition.

Note that my interest in this is general and strictly philosophic. I am not a scientist and have never had much inclination for the sciences. But I recognize the value of science and the importance that must be placed in it by philosophers. You can't work to clarify ideas if you don't have a decent understanding, or a broad recognition, of the most current or the most powerful of them. You can't argue about what minds are if you are ignorant of (or just choose to disregard) the latest information on brains!

SWM

1.4.

Re: The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett-Consistent Philosophies of Consc

Posted by: "iro3isdx" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:49 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> Prolific in new concepts? I'm not sure I see how that can be a
> defining characteristic of science.

I didn't say that it is a defining characterist. But it is a
distinguishing characteristic (distinguishes science from history and
accounting.

> Lots of folks, including philosophers, have been prolific in that
> way. But just coming up with lots of new ideas isn't a methodology
> is it?

We are probably miscommunicating again. While "concept" is sometimes
used for "idea", I wasn't talking about ideas here.

> Do you mean why and how things happen in the world?

No, that is science, and not anything that philosophers need to comment
on (though they are not excluded).

-----

> I have to plead ignorance of Kuhn, having only seen him alluded to
> in other forums and having read only the occasional excerpt from
> him provided on sites like this. As I recall, he is somewhat in
> the Popperian tradition, is he not?

It is my understanding that Popper and Kuhn were not on speaking terms
with one another.

> Can you provide a brief statement (with a link if you like) to
> Kuhn's own account of what science entails?

Here's a link
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Structure_of_Scientific_Revolutions> ,
but there is too much there to give a brief synopsis. Note that while I
agree with the problems that Kuhn finds with traditional philosophy of
science, I don't entirely agree with his alternative account.

Regards,
Neil
1.5.

Re: The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett-Consistent Philosophies of Consc

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:39 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:

> > Prolific in new concepts? I'm not sure I see how that can be a
> > defining characteristic of science.
>
> I didn't say that it is a defining characterist. But it is a
> distinguishing characteristic (distinguishes science from history and
> accounting.

Okay, I thought we were talking about what distinguishes science from philosophy. Thus, I supposed you were offering what you took to be a kind of definition.

> > Lots of folks, including philosophers, have been prolific in that
> > way. But just coming up with lots of new ideas isn't a methodology
> > is it?
>
> We are probably miscommunicating again. While "concept" is sometimes
> used for "idea", I wasn't talking about ideas here.

Okay. I tend to use "concept" and "idea" interchangeably in these kinds of discussions. While in other contexts I might treat "idea" as broader, allowing for looser, more incohate thoughts, or thoughts which might not be expressible with a high degree of clarity in words, while supposing concepts to be much more definite (more capable of precise _expression_ in words), in discussions like this my presumption is that the terms are synonyms.

> > Do you mean why and how things happen in the world?
>
> No, that is science, and not anything that philosophers need to comment
> on (though they are not excluded).
>
> -----
>

> > I have to plead ignorance of Kuhn, having only seen him alluded to
> > in other forums and having read only the occasional excerpt from
> > him provided on sites like this. As I recall, he is somewhat in
> > the Popperian tradition, is he not?
>
> It is my understanding that Popper and Kuhn were not on speaking terms
> with one another.

Popper seems not to have been on speaking terms with lots of folks. But maybe Wittgenstein chose to speak with fewer folks on balance, eh?

> > Can you provide a brief statement (with a link if you like) to
> > Kuhn's own account of what science entails?
>
> Here's a link
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Structure_of_Scientific_Revolutions> ,
> but there is too much there to give a brief synopsis. Note that while I
> agree with the problems that Kuhn finds with traditional philosophy of
> science, I don't entirely agree with his alternative account.
>
> Regards,
> Neil

Thanks. I'll have a look.

SWM

1.6.

The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett-Consistent Philosophies of Conscious

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:18 pm (PST)

SWM wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>the second position is that there is nothing non-physical about the
>>self. recent claims you've made have advocated this view, including:

>>[SWM]: The question is not whether the "I" is causally effective (we
>>all go through life presuming it is). The question is how can it be if
>>it isn't a physical thing in the world? And the answer is that it IS
>>physical --

>Is the turning of the wheel less physical than the wheel that is doing
>the turning?

it's rather obvious that whatever causal efficacy the turning wheel has
is due entirely to the physical object that is the turning wheel.
consequently, if consciousness is to the brain as the turning is to the
wheel; then, the causal efficacy that some might attribute to
consciousness is more accurately attributed to the brain.

but, that undermines your claim that consciousness as Dennett conceives
it could fill the role of an abstract I in the von Neumann
Interpretation. if you recall, von Neumann removed all things physical
from his Division III, the actual observer.

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

2.1.

Re: The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett - (vs. Gould)

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:09 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "jrstern" <jrstern@...> wrote:
<snip>

> http://www.stephenjaygould.org/reviews/dennett_exchange.html
>
> Yikes.
>
> Are you saying, you side with Gould on this?
>
> I'm entirely with Dennett.
>
> Josh

It's very amusing but what is the substance of the issue(s) they are arguing about? -- SWM

2.2.

Re: The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett - (vs. Gould)

Posted by: "jrstern" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:49 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> It's very amusing but what is the substance of the issue(s) they are arguing about? -- SWM

Evolution, mostly. Not mind as such, and very little philosophical import, I think.

However, you want some evolution news, try this:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527441.500-horizontal-and-vertical-the-evolution-of-evolution.html

Josh

2.3.

Re: The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett - (vs. Gould)

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:07 am (PST)

Very interesting, Josh! The idea of lateral transfer of genetic material had never occurred to me (though, apparently, this isn't so new in the field). It's almost Lamarckian albeit at a very deep level. -- SWM

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "jrstern" <jrstern@...> wrote:

<snip>

> However, you want some evolution news, try this:
> http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527441.500-horizontal-and-vertical-the-evolution-of-evolution.html
>
> Josh

2.4.

Jumping Genes

Posted by: "jrstern" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:36 pm (PST)

A few examples, bacteria pick up antibiotic resistance across "species", was demonstrated fifty years ago that corn plants have "jumping genes" and that's why genetically modified plants might be dangerous, even human and other high-level genomes have viral "invasions" that become part of our DNA and are passed on.

(in fact, that's my private theory, which I've never seen in print, of why we have 99% "junk DNA" - that means that an invading virus or gene has a 99% chance of hitting junk and being ignored)

I don't think we'll wake up tomorrow and see rats with pigeon wings, but it certainly raises questions about just what transfers are possible and do occur in nature, or could be done in the lab.

Another example, look at viral mutations and combinations, such that they have names like H1N1.

So, no, it's not _exactly_ news, but it is very interesting.

And probably more in keeping with Dennett's view of evolution than with Gould's or even Dawkins' - though I suppose it was Dawkins who created the concept and title, "The Selfish Gene", and it is more Gould's concern about how high-level features evolve, but it's Dennett's view of the matter as a giant design space that evolution explores, and it might as well go sideways now and again.

Evolution remains a subtle and complicated subject, and even asking why and how it can *be* so subtle and complicated, is a difficult issue.

Josh

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> Very interesting, Josh! The idea of lateral transfer of genetic material had never occurred to me (though, apparently, this isn't so new in the field). It's almost Lamarckian albeit at a very deep level. -- SWM
>
> --- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "jrstern" <jrstern@> wrote:
> >
> <snip>
>
> > However, you want some evolution news, try this:
> > http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527441.500-horizontal-and-vertical-the-evolution-of-evolution.html
> >
> > Josh

2.5.

Re: The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett - (vs. Gould)

Posted by: "iro3isdx" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:18 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> It's very amusing but what is the substance of the issue(s) they
> are arguing about?

Dennett accused Gould of being unscientific.

Regards,
Neil

3.1.

Re: [C] Re: Wittgenstein on Religious Belief

Posted by: "College Dropout John O'Connor" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:57 am (PST)

CJ wrote on Sat, 28 November 2009 14:28
> [...]
>
> Once I quoted to him a remark of Kierkegaard which went something like this: 'How can it be that Christ does not exist, since I know that he has saved me?' Wittgenstein's response was: 'You see! It isn't a question of proving anything!'"2
>
> Malcolm notes that "his religious sense was Christian; but he distrusted institu-tions" [RPV, p. 21] and he refers to another remark Wittgenstein made to Drury: "...one of the things you and I have to learn is that we have to live without the consolation of churches."3 "Wittgenstein had an intense desire for moral and spiritual purity," Malcolm continues [RPV, p. 23], but never felt at home in any established religious institution, church, or doctrine. "We can say with confidence that he knew the demands of religion" [RPV, p. 23] Malcolm concludes; what he leaves unsaid is that one of the things that troubled Wittgenstein throughout his life was the realization that he could not, or would not, meet those demands: "I cannot kneel to pray," Wittgenstein wrote, "because it's as though my knees are stiff."4
>
> "Religious belief could only be something like a passionate commitment to a system of reference, ... a way of living..."5 Wittgenstein wrote. It must be no mere detail in your life, but the purpose which informs it--otherwise it isn't religious, but something else (however intensely you may feel it). Evidently Wittgenstein did not commit his life to a system of reference, such as Roman Catholicism, and that is the sense in which he was not a religious man.
>

> In the second piece, those who are inclined can take a look at the distinction between "believing in" and "believing that" which is drawn by the author.
>
> Wittgenstein and the Possibility of Religious Belief
> Patricia Sayre, Notre Dame
>
> Contemporary philosophers of religion delimiting their field often distinguish between belief in and belief that, and then focus on the latter as more pertinent to a philosophical investigation of religious belief. The believer's relationship to a proposition, and the relationship between that propo- sition and reality is of primary concern. The epistemology of religious belief has thus tended to be approached as a species of justification theory; its task is to provide a satis- factory account of our acceptance or rejection of various religiously relevant propositions. It is against this back- ground that some of the more well-known discussions of Wittgenstein's philosophy of religion have taken place. Hence one much belabored question has been whether standards for the justification of religious belief can only be determined within the context of the language-game played by the community of religious believers; another has been whether religious beliefs are even the kind!
of thing open to justification, for it may be that the language in which they are framed is expressive rather than proposi- tional.

> While these are interesting issues, and one can see how various strategies and techniques employed by Wittgenstein in his later work gave rise to them, they seem curiously bloodless when held up against his terse, intensely passionate, writings on matters of religious belief. The reason for this, it seems to me, is that when Wittgenstein thinks about religious belief, he does so against a very different set of background concerns than most philosophers of religion bring to the table. That is, while mainline philosophy of religion is almost exclusively focused on belief that, Wittgenstein is more concerned with belief in. Hence the questions that disturb Wittgenstein have less to do with the epistemic status of religious belief than they do with the spiritual status of the religious believer, where what is crucial is believing in one's own redemption, passionately embracing a "system of coordinates" so as to radically reorient your life. (Wittgenstein 1998, 73e)
>

> Let us begin with the provocative comments with which Brian Clack concludes his helpful overview in An Introduc- tion to Wittgenstein's Philosophy of Religion. Elaborating on points similar to those made above, Clack writes that while "the mistake made by philosophers of religion em- barked on a justificatory project is that of envisaging relig- ion as something which possesses explanatory power and which rests on intellectual foundations...religion is pre- sented by Wittgenstein as something like a particular perspective on the world; a means of assessing life and of judging one's actions, a way of living." (Clack 1999, 109) In fleshing out his account of this way of living, Clack looks to Wittgenstein's 'Remarks on Frazer's Golden Bough.' There we learn that a religious form of life has "its roots in in- stinctive human behavior....[and] this primitive behavior is definitive of humanity, filling as large a role in the natural history of human beings as does eating, drink!
ing, procrea- tion, playing games, singing, making art, and so on." (ibid., 123-124)

> But how, if religion is rooted in instinct, can one experi- ence an incapacity to passionately embrace a religious point of view? If we possess primitive instincts of this sort, shouldn't it come naturally to us to adopt a religious stance? As Clack is quick to point out, primitive instinct is only part of the story. Human instincts typically play out within the context of human communities, and cultural practices can be powerful inhibitors of instinct. If we are to understand how belief in could become a genuine problem for a person, we need to take into account culture as well as primitive instinct. Thus, when reflecting on the "two determining features of Wittgenstein's approach to religious belief: first, the extent to which he was drawn with awe toward the religious view of the world; and second, his own inability fully to share in that perspective," Clack suggests that it might be "something about the character of 'this age' which constrained his religious impulses."!
(ibid., 126-127)

> Wittgenstein often seems to write from the perspective of one who longs to believe in his redemption, but finds he cannot honestly lay claim to the status of a religious be- liever. The problem is not that his intellect rejects the belief that redemption of human persons is possible, for this, he writes, is "something that actually takes place in human life." (ibid., 32e) The problem is a matter of will, of finding within himself the capacity to passionately embrace his own redemption. "I cannot kneel to pray," he writes, "be- cause it's as though my knees were stiff. I am afraid of dissolution (of my own dissolution) should I become soft." (ibid., 63e) Problems of this sort tend to be dismissed by philosophers of religion as beyond the reach of philosophy. Important as they may be, they are pastoral, spiritual, or psychological difficulties, not epistemological ones.
>
> All this may seem simply to strengthen the case for there being something about our age prohibiting religious belief, but Kierkegaard draws a different conclusion. The character of our age, far from ruling out religious belief, simply throws into starker contrast what such belief requires, namely, that each one of us, for ourselves and without expecting our culture to do the work for us, leap passionately into the arms of God. Here we have a leveling which places the same religious requirement before us all, and while the abstract leveling of our age can obscure the leveling involved in a religious point of view, there is no in principle impossibility in the passionately interested indi-vidual discovering the difference. For Kierkegaard, then, although the spirit of our age may bear a different relation to the spirit of religious belief than that of other ages, the task that faces the individual believer is a task of the same infinite difficulty whatever the historical era.

CJ,

I like your way with words. And I do like these two references- I shall have to look into them more later.

To the first, I can only recall that the TLP's point was ethical, and that to Wittgenstein, religion and ethics were very similar terms.

Consider the truth tables, and how to an atheist 'God' is a contradiction and to a theist 'God' is a tautology.

And on that note, was Christ a Chrisitian?

(...no, he was a Jew.)
--
He lived a wonderful life.

4a.

Re: [C] Re: How to Regard On Certainty

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:16 am (PST)

... wanted to send these quotes along from Monk. They are interesting. First, some preliminaries:

1. OC 300-676 written in the last month and a half (month and three weeks) of his life. Wrote furiously. Very regularly.
2. OC 65-299 written late in the summer of 1950.
3. OC 1-64 written on separate paper and left at Anascombe's house, date of authorship uncertain but believed to be in 1949.

And now two very interesting assessments:

FROM MONK:

"During the two months left of his life Wittgenstein wrote over half (numbered paragraphs 300-676) of the remarks which now constitute On Certainty, and in doings so produced what many people regard as the most lucid writing to be found in any of his work." He continues, "... explores the issues in much greater depth, and expresses the ideas with much greater clarity and succinctness than hitherto. Even when he is chiding himself for his own lack of concentration, he does so with amusingly apt simile: 'I do philosophy now like an old woman who is always mislaying something and having to look for it again: now her spectacles, now her keys.' Despite this self-deprecation, he was in no doubt that the work he was now writing would be of interest: 'I believe it might interest a philosopher, one who can think himself, to read my notes. For even if I have hit the mark only rarely, he would recognize what target I had been ceaselessly aiming at.'" (577-578)

FROM WITTGENSTEIN:

"The truth is this. a) I have not been able to do any sustained good work since the beginning of March 1949. b) Even before that date I could not work well for more than 6 or 7 months a year. c) As I'm getting older my thoughts become markedly less forceful & crystallize more rarely & I get tired very much more easily. d) My health is in a somewhat labile sate owing to a constant slight anemia which inclines me to catch infections. This further diminishes the chance of my doing really good work.e) Though it's impossible for me to make any definite predictions, it seems to me likely that my mind will never again work as vigorously as it did, say, 14 months ago. f) I cannot promise to publish anything during my lifetime."  (letter written to Malcolm about Malcolm's efforts to secure a research grant for Wittgenstein from the Rockefeller Foundation). (Monk, 565).

MY THOUGHTS

One thing that I think we should be careful of here is the assumption that if Wittgenstein is writing clear passages, that those writings reflect work of a certain caliber or quality. Indeed, one of the hallmark features of clear and lucid exposition is that the ideas are often very ordinary. And one of the things we don't want to do is to attribute the fact that we can follow something as evidence for the fact that it therefore must be good. One of the hallmark features of Wittgenstein's writing is that each passage requires you to contemplate what on God's earth is gong through his mind. Wittgenstein is a lot like scripture in this sense. But I have to be careful. Because, once again, I am not making any assertion that OC is deficient to any of Wittgenstein's writings. I just think when people read it, they need to be cognizant of what it is and the conditions under which it is authored.

Really, the mistake is to read ANYTHING of Wittgenstein's without understanding who Wittgenstein was. One can only properly understand Wittgenstein as one does his or her child. And so, if a child said something that you could attribute to knowing the ways of the child -- what Wittgenstein referred to as "imponderable evidence" -- the learning of this attribution would be the highest you could obtain to "making sense." No one should read OC or any Wittgenstein writing without first developing an understanding of the "imponderable evidence."  And if they don't have this, they need to read for that objective (and read biography).

Regards.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University
Personal Website: http://seanwilson.org
SSRN papers: http://ssrn.com/author=596860
Discussion Group: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html

5.1.

Re: Wittgenstein on Religious Belief

Posted by: "J D" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:09 pm (PST)

First, I think the essay whose link you provided isn't far from the right track as far as Wittgenstein's philosophy of religion goes:

"It is important to distinguish varieties of religious non-realism based on an
error theory from another set of views sometimes labelled ` non-realist'. I have in
mind here views inspired by some remarks on religion by the later Wittgenstein.
Proponents of this view tend to deny that religious discourse ? outside philos-
ophy and philosophically dominated theology ? has ever been in the business of
making the sort of metaphysical truth-claims realists are wont to defend. This is
an important view, but one outside the scope of the present discussion. In con-
trast, proponents of the non-realist views discussed below should be understood
to concede the realist aspirations of traditional religious speech-acts ; but having
concluded that these aspirations are not fulfilled, they offer a reinterpretation of
the aim and function of religious discourse."

This strikes me as correct as far as it goes.

However, one might still observe that Wittgenstein has been (mis)interpreted as having theories about what traditional religious talk involved. Using the terminology of the essay, something like the "religious positivism" view has been ascribed to Wittgenstein, though he explicitly rejects the idea that there should be some translation that said just what the believer wished to say. Likewise, he has been read as espousing "religious expressivism" (and not without reason), but again the point about translation militates against this. As does the rejection of theorizing and putting forth contentious theses, of course. "Religious instrumentalism", though still objectionable a theory, is much more plausible as something close to some of Wittgenstein's views.

Still, calling a religious text "fiction"... Is this an extended usage? If so, that's fine but we mustn't be misled as to the differences between religious texts and works we typically call "fiction". Is it a simile? A simile can be revealing in various ways and it can be misleading: things are like and unlike in various ways and similes apt and unapt. And what the "fictionalist" is trying to do is to disagree with the realist, not to reorganize the library shelves or the curricula of religious studies.

Where we go wrong most often in discussing Wittgenstein and religion is in overlooking his general approach to debates about realism in various forms. When he considers debates between Realists and Idealists or debates between Platonists and Intuitionists or Formalists or between Cartesians and Behaviorists, he is subverting the very terms of the debate. What the Realist and Idealist want to do is say things that are undeniably true and at the same time contentious. And this leads to nonsense, to queer and misleading pictures, or to mere "battle cries". And similarly with the other disputes. But one must examine each case carefully, each temptation to talk nonsense. And the same applies to the metaphysical glosses we may wish to give to religious utterances.

A last point. These approaches start from the idea that the believer and non-believer have substantive disagreements then proceed to show how what the believer has to say might be understood in a way that would be perfectly reasonable by the non-believer's lights. That is one possibility, but Wittgenstein also wants us to consider another: that sometimes the differences between the believer and non-believer may run so deep that they can't even really disagree. That too needs to be considered and such considerations of different cases is one reason that attempts to derive a single systematic view of religious belief from Wittgenstein's remarks is doomed to fail.

JPDeMouy

6a.

Sense of "Is"

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:30 pm (PST)

... anyone know of any good sources discussing the grammar of "is." I know Wittgenstein talked about this here and there (though I can't locate it right now). But I'm more interested in an article or detailed treatment of it. For example, how many senses of "is" are there?

1. Identical to. 2 = 2. [same thing]
2. a member of (Kennedy is Irish)
3. Equivalent with (six of one is a half dozen of the other) [adds up to; "in effect"]
4. an occurrence of (He is rejoicing).

Are there others? Are any of the above duplicitous? I'm writing a paper where I assert four senses.

(I sent this to analytic as well)

Regards.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University
Personal Website: http://seanwilson.org
SSRN papers: http://ssrn.com/author=596860
Discussion Group: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html

6b.

Re: Sense of "Is"

Posted by: "J D" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:47 pm (PST)

SW,

If I recall correctly...

Most of Wittgenstein's remarks on the subject allude to the Frege-Russell distinction between identity, predication, existence, and subsumption roles of the copula functions which is built into modern logical notations. The debate between Russell and Meinong is important here. (Prior to Frege and Kant, Aristotle and Kant are most important.) Peirce also wrote extensively on this but his work was less influential. Logicians also distinguish between predication as class membership and as class inclusion, the latter of which is equivalent to subsumption. J. Hintikka is probably the most important recent philosopher on the subject.

Now, some fanciful examples:

1. Identity Wonder Woman is Diana Prince
2. Predication Wonder Woman is invulnerable
2a. Class membership Wonder Woman is Amazon
2b. Class inclusion Amazons are women
3. Existence. Wonder Woman is.
4. Subsumption Amazons are women

Vaguely recalling some recent stuff on the issues Russell and Meinong. Ah, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_square_copula
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/nonexistent-objects/#DuaCopStr

There's of course extensive literature of metaphor, e.g. Wonder Woman is a tank. I'm not familiar with anything specific on the usage you mention which we might gloss as "is effectively".

JPDeMouy

6c.

Re: Sense of "Is"

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:01 pm (PST)

... very nicely done, J. You are a walking encyclopedia!

(Actually, you're far better than that. If you think about it, a walking encyclopedia would be a bit of a parlor trick I think).

I'd like to discuss the sense of "is" in the near future when I complete my review of your directions. Because I think I have some objections to certain things. For example, I had thought of including "existence" among the four senses that I had thought of (it being a fifth), but I could not bring myself to do it. I would take "Wonder Woman is" as merely saying "WW occurs."  But anyway, I need to consider your assistance here before I can form better ideas.

Thanks a bunch!

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University
Personal Website: http://seanwilson.org
SSRN papers: http://ssrn.com/author=596860
Discussion Group: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html

6d.

Re: [analytic] Sense of "Is"

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:53 pm (PST)

Sean Wilson wrote:
> ... anyone know of any good sources discussing the grammar of "is." I know Wittgenstein talked about this here and there (though I can't locate it right now). But I'm more interested in an article or detailed treatment of it. For example, how many senses of "is" are there?
>
> 1. Identical to. 2 = 2. [same thing]
> 2. a member of (Kennedy is Irish)
> 3. Equivalent with (six of one is a half dozen of the other) [adds up to; "in effect"]
> 4. an occurrence of (He is rejoicing).

See http://www.formalontology.it/fregeg.htm for the 4 Frege-Russell
senses of 'is' --- existence, identity, class inclusion and predication

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

6e.

Re: Sense of "Is"

Posted by: "jrstern" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:00 pm (PST)

Yes, very nice post, JD.

> Now, some fanciful examples:
>
> 1. Identity Wonder Woman is Diana Prince
> 2. Predication Wonder Woman is invulnerable
> 2a. Class membership Wonder Woman is Amazon
> 2b. Class inclusion Amazons are women
> 3. Existence. Wonder Woman is.
> 4. Subsumption Amazons are women

Doesn't Quine say that "existence is not a predicate"? Funny, he uses the word "is" to deny it! Shall we talk negatives?

And in object-oriented (computer) programming, a common usage of "is" is in the inheritance and other properties of objects, being most usually type/token systems, and "is" generally being taken in that regard as "is-a" relationships, not just class membership but instantiation, specialization, dynamic relationships, and whatnot. I suppose all of these can also be found in common usages as well.

Linguistically, isn't "is" one of those non-specific words, like "do" only more so?

What else ... in Spanish you have two forms of "to be" (of which "is" is the present tense), representing permanent versus ephemeral states.

And then you have president Clinton, wondering what the definition of is, is. Along those lines I was just reading Fodor about opaque versus transparent reference, "is" water H2O or XYX on Twin Earth?

Josh

6f.

Re: Sense of "Is"

Posted by: "J D" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:23 pm (PST)

JRS,

> Yes, very nice post, JD.

Thanks.

> Doesn't Quine say that "existence is not a predicate"?

Actually, Kant said it long before Quine and it influenced Frege's and Russell's notations.

Lot's of little puzzles can arise around "is", yes. "The" as well, as with Russell's Theory of Definite Descriptions.

JPDeMouy

6g.

Re: Sense of "Is"

Posted by: "jrstern" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:26 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "J D" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> > Doesn't Quine say that "existence is not a predicate"?
>
> Actually, Kant said it long before Quine and it influenced Frege's and Russell's notations.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=existence+is+not+a+predicate&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aql=&aqi=&oq=&fp=435311d5ec9ae78f

Huh, how about that.

But I still don't know another way to deal with unicorns.

Thanks.

Josh

7a.

Re: On the Varieties of Dualism

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:20 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> Moreover, one has the problem of explaining HOW
> brains do the trick of bringing something wholly new into the world

Unless one doesn't recognize brains as bringing anything, nothing new or
old. I know I'm clipping out of context. Is it your position that brains
do bring us something new? That is, thoughts and feelings are new
phenomena, that now occupy the world along with sticks and stones?

> As noted, my view is that there is only dualism and non-dualism.

Where dualism means there are TWO and non-dualism means there is only
ONE -- but, as you wrote above, now ONE or TWO substances but ONE or TWO
what?

bruce

7b.

Re: On the Varieties of Dualism

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:49 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
>
> > Moreover, one has the problem of explaining HOW
> > brains do the trick of bringing something wholly new into the world
>
> Unless one doesn't recognize brains as bringing anything, nothing new or
> old. I know I'm clipping out of context. Is it your position that brains
> do bring us something new? That is, thoughts and feelings are new
> phenomena, that now occupy the world along with sticks and stones?

No, I was actually arguing against that view (see the full text wherein that statement appeared).

My point was that to hold the above view is consistent with dualist thinking, as is arguing against a Dennettian model on the basis of a claim that the features we associate with consciousness are irreducible to anything that is not, itself, conscious already.

If thoughts and feelings, etc., are reducible to things unlike themselves, as the Dennettian model claims, then nothing new is introduced into the world, it's just the same stuff doing different things. But if they are not reducible, then that implies that the physical brain brings into being something totally unlike itself. And now you've got dualism again.

My argument against Searle's CRA is partly based on this, i.e., he claims to hold that brains cause consciousness while computers can't. But the reason he draws the general conclusion in favor of this assertion from the CRA is because he is conceiving of consciousness as irreducible, i.e., it cannot be explained as a system property.

But since Searle agrees that consciousness IS reducible to brains (or to something they do), then he is stuck because, if it is reducible in brains then there is no reason in principle it should not be similarly reducible in computers, contra the conclusion of his CRA. But if it isn't reducible in computers, as per the CRA, and brains are, indeed, responsible for bringing it about (as Searle claims), then the only way brains can be responsible is by acting as an agent for bringing SOMETHING NEW (an ontological basic, something irreducible) into the world.

I'll grant this is a subtle argument and that many don't see it. But I think it's compelling when you really think about it.

> > As noted, my view is that there is only dualism and non-dualism.
>
> Where dualism means there are TWO and non-dualism means there is only
> ONE -- but, as you wrote above, now ONE or TWO substances but ONE or TWO
> what?
>
> bruce

Ontological basics.

"Substance" is an outmoded way of speaking about things that exist and, as I've said before, it's really to misuse the term "substance" because the term is more properly applied to dog poop and similar things under appropriate circumstances. There is no basis, given the state of our current theories of physics, for speaking of ontological basics as substances any longer.

I had asked that perhaps you would be good enough to explicate your own view since I have been explicating mine for a long, long time now. I think it's only fair that we figure it's your turn now.

SWM

8a.

Re: SWM: A tale of two stances

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:40 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> In terms of being aware, perceiving, thinking, remembering,
> having a sense of being a self, SWM is nothing more than his brain
activity

And so it would be consistent to say SWM's brain falls in love, makes
mistakes, is guilty or innocent, etc. Simply put, we attribute
everything to the brain that most folks attribute to people. Is this
correct?

> As of now I see no reason to suppose there are two entities,
> a mental and a physical...

To reiterate my viewpoint, the concept of a mental entity is a
conceptual false move. We have experiences, feelings, attitudes,
stances, none of these are entities, but, rather, ways of being in the
world.

I'm even inclined to say same the same about so-called physical
entities. What's there, not us, are objects. And I think you agree that
are products are of brain - world interaction. So, even are physical
objects are only relatively autonomous from the ways of being in the
world.

> A reason...may also be a cause insofar as I act because of it.

You can speak that way but do mean to collapse the distinction
between...

a-- the alcohol caused my brain to be starved of oxygen

(the brain has no choice in its reaction)

b-- and hence my reason for asking you to drive.

( you justified your choice you need not have made)

> What's with this spirit business?

When Dennet's speaks of intention, I hear a human spirit. But you claim
that he means that the brain is intentional. Which is to attribute
mental attributes to a physical object.

> Now let's talk about what it is brains do that makes
> consciousness occur in the world.

Consciousness doesn't occur in the world.

bruce

8b.

Re: SWM: A tale of two stances

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:56 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
>
> > In terms of being aware, perceiving, thinking, remembering,
> > having a sense of being a self, SWM is nothing more than his brain
> activity
>
> And so it would be consistent to say SWM's brain falls in love, makes
> mistakes, is guilty or innocent, etc. Simply put, we attribute
> everything to the brain that most folks attribute to people. Is this
> correct?

Only in a certain sense, not in the usual one. Note that I said "in terms of being aware . . . etc., etc." I didn't say in terms of the more complex activities which involve various social and institutional conceptions that you now introduce.

> > As of now I see no reason to suppose there are two entities,
> > a mental and a physical...
>
> To reiterate my viewpoint, the concept of a mental entity is a
> conceptual false move. We have experiences, feelings, attitudes,
> stances, none of these are entities, but, rather, ways of being in the
> world.

Then why do you keep talking about how impossible it is for the brain to cause consciousness because there is no physical output identifiable with consciousness? Of course there would not need to be in this sense of "cause" and given this conception of consciousness! But if you persist in claiming that this is missing, the clear implication is that you are still hanging onto a picture of consciousness which requires it, despite your frequent assertions to the contrary.

> I'm even inclined to say same the same about so-called physical
> entities. What's there, not us, are objects. And I think you agree that
> are products are of brain - world interaction. So, even are physical
> objects are only relatively autonomous from the ways of being in the
> world.

Perhaps I would agree, if we were clear on the terms. But I'm not sure it would be relevant to the issue of whether brains cause consciousness.

> > A reason...may also be a cause insofar as I act because of it.
>
> You can speak that way but do mean to collapse the distinction
> between...
>
> a-- the alcohol caused my brain to be starved of oxygen
>
> (the brain has no choice in its reaction)
>
> b-- and hence my reason for asking you to drive.

Different senses of cause, of course.

> ( you justified your choice you need not have made)
>
> > What's with this spirit business?
>
> When Dennet's speaks of intention, I hear a human spirit. But you claim
> that he means that the brain is intentional. Which is to attribute
> mental attributes to a physical object.

No, it's to attribute certain operational (perhaps behavioral) performances to brains and to entities with brains.

> > Now let's talk about what it is brains do that makes
> > consciousness occur in the world.
>
> Consciousness doesn't occur in the world.
>
> bruce

No? And where are you then? In limbo?

But, of course, it does occur in our heads which are found in the world so, if you only mean by "in the world" something else (say "outside our heads") then I would agree with you on that claim. But we have to be clear on the meanings first.

SWM

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News