[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 119

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 25 Jan 2010 10:44:21 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (14 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: A tale of two stances

Posted by: "Cayuse" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:46 am (PST)

Bruce wrote:
> If the stance we take is caused, then we aren't freely choosing.
<snip>
> If one tries to extend the causal stance to humans, then one can talk
> about others as machines, but only paradoxically about oneself.
> If one begins with the self as an intentional agent, then one must
> account for the place of the causal operating brain.

Why should any explanation of the behavior of the physical organism
(whether self or other) demand anything more than physical influences
(exteroception, interoception, and brain processes)?

2.1.

The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett-Consistent Philosophies of Conscious

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:34 am (PST)

SWM wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>SWM wrote:

>>>Being a subject is a result, on this view, of a complex of
>>>processes found in certain kinds of brains when they are in good
>>>operating order and operating at capacity.

>>perhaps that is how the sense of being a self (or subject or
>>experiencer or agent, etc) arises. the point is that this sense of
>>self experiences itself as the executing agent of its intentions. if
>>the actual work is being done by the brain; then, there is nothing
>>left for the subjective self to 'do'. the subjective self is then
>>epiphenomenal.

>The point, ... is that the sense of self we have is actually multiple,
>i.e., it is not a fixed self qua entity

as the narrative center of gravity, the self may well tell multiple
stories about itself; and, the fact that stories are told implies that
there is a story teller.

in Dennett's view, it is the the brain that is telling the story, is it
not?

in Dennett's view, the 'self' that a story appears to be about is
nothing but the narrative center of gravity of that story, is it not?

how can the narrative center of gravity be causally effective in any
way?

does the narrative center of gravity have a reality type other than that
of a bat seen in an inkblot; and, if so, would you describe more fully
its reality type?

>(see Ramachandran's proposed breakout)

since I've undertaken to show that *Dennett's* physicalist account of
consciousness is incompatible with the von Neumann Interpretation of QM,
I would hesitate to get distracted by Ramachandran's ideas unless you
can clearly distinguish them from Dennett's ideas.

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

2.2.

Re: The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett-Consistent Philosophies of Consc

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:45 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:

<snip>

> in Dennett's view, the 'self' that a story appears to be about is
> nothing but the narrative center of gravity of that story, is it not?
>
> how can the narrative center of gravity be causally effective in any
> way?

It is not a stand-alone entity but part of a larger complex system, parts of which are causal in a physical sense. The idea that the self can only be explained as a point or center of consciousness, indivisible and apart from everything else, is precisely the thesis Dennett's concept of consciousness discards.

> does the narrative center of gravity have a reality type other than that
> of a bat seen in an inkblot; and, if so, would you describe more fully
> its reality type?

See above.

> >(see Ramachandran's proposed breakout)
>
> since I've undertaken to show that *Dennett's* physicalist account of
> consciousness is incompatible with the von Neumann Interpretation of QM,
> I would hesitate to get distracted by Ramachandran's ideas unless you
> can clearly distinguish them from Dennett's ideas.
>
> Joe

The point was to show how it could be conceived. If you are adamant about not considering how it could be conceived in this way then I can't do more here since Dennett's thesis is entirely about a different way of conceiving of consciousness, a way that obviates the need to posit a separate ontological basic to account for its occurrence, that is, it offers a different thesis than dualism. That it doesn't then account for the dualist conception within its own terms is thus irrelevant and not a criticism of it.

SWM

3a.

On the Varieties of Dualism

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:07 pm (PST)

SWM wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>SWM wrote:

>>>That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't physically derived in which
>>>case it is not non-physical in every sense.

>>you've yet to show that something other than a phenomenological
>>reality could be non-physical and yet physically derived.

>What's to "show"? This is about competing ways of conceiving the
>phenomenon under consideration, i.e., the presence of conscious
>subjects, in the universe, that have causal relations with the things
>of the universe beyond themselves.

>Subjects are indisputably present in the world (if you doubt that we
>cannot even discuss this) so the only thing left to show then is how to
>explain this presence.

>There are a four ways on the table that I can think of offhand here:

>1) The self or subject is seen as a separate existent from the things
>it apprehends. (This is dualism though it may have more than one form
>or way of being described: It could be a transcendental subject a la
>Kant or a monad a la Leibniz or it could be a parallel dimension of
>existence, co-existing with the physical phenomena of the world and of
>which it is aware -- a Cartesian kind of dualism.)

this account of substance dualism is quite confused.

a hard core physicalist would likely agree that the experiencing I is
not identical to the stone, or the afterimage that it apprehends. that
alone doesn't make the physicalist a dualist.

what's important is how many 'substances' (types of metaphenomenal
objects) and/or how many sets of properties are needed to explain the
phenomenon in question: experiencing *as* an experiencing I, the self or
subject.

all of those you mentioned, Kant, Leibniz and Descartes would be
considered substance dualists according to this definition.

>2) The self or subject is one or more (an amalgam) of properties that
>some physical phenomena (brains or parts of brains or activities of
>brains) have/produce but which are irreducible to anything else (this
>is also dualism but a more confused picture on my view -- it supposes
>that brains somehow summon/bring/introduce some fundamentally new
>existent into the world).

this seems to be an attempt to describe property dualism; and, it is
good to see that (despite years of claiming that they are
indistinguishable) you are now striving to articulate the difference
between them.

all that is required to establish property dualism is using two sets of
properties to explain ... whatever.

>3) The self or subject is one or more (an amalgam) of properties
>(features) that some physical phenomena (brains or parts of brains or
>activities of brains) have/produce and which ARE reducible to those
>phenomena (which are not, themselves, subject-like, i.e., they lack the
>qualities we associate with being a subject, etc.).

>4) The self or subject is not explicable in any way, it just happens to
>be present in the universe and we can't say how or understand why,
>etc., etc. It's just an unresolvable mystery of being.

we've covered this possibility before. neither of us believes that the
presence of subjectivity in an otherwise objective universe is
inherently inexplicable. you think that the presence of the experiencing
I has already been solved; whereas, I don't. you think there is no
mystery; but, I think the mystery remains.

in any case this option is not relevant to discussions of whether the
von Neumann Interpretation of QM is or is not dualistic.

>As you know, I hold that #3 offers the best explanation for the
>presence of subjects in the universe. But I don't pretend to "show" why
>#3 is true because I don't claim it is true! It's a way of explaining,
>of understanding, the phenomenon.

>On this view, it strikes me that #3 is the best choice because it
>doesn't require that we posit extra existents in the universe (the
>dualism of 1 and 2),

property dualism doesn't postulate extra existents; unless, you have a
weird definition of 'existent'; otherwise, property dualism just
requires two sets of properties.

in any event, just having a taxonomy of belief systems is not enough.
one must also apply it consistently and coherently; but, you are not.
you, Dennett and Searle are all trying to be in category 3; but, neither
you nor Dennett can avoid the same latent property dualism of which
you've accused Searle.

physical objects have physical properties that cause measurable
phenomena. some objects also have physical properties that cause
experienceable phenomena.

>Now you can continue insisting that a "phenomenological reality" cannot
>be "physically derived" unless someone can show you that it can but all
>you are doing by this is insisting on a dualist picture (as seen in
>either #1 or #2 or, perhaps, some variant I haven't accounted for
>above).

my claim is that the von Neumann Interpretation is dualistic (type 1)
because the abstract 'I' von Neumann postulated is best classified as an
I-3 (an entity of reality type 3) on the grounds that it is required to
be non-physical and causally effective.

>But it is no argument against a Dennettian model to say that it is
>wrong because it doesn't explain things dualistically.

I am saying that a Dennettian account of consciousness such as your own
does not explain how a fictitious entity, the self, described as a
'narrative center of gravity' make a free choice (as to how to set up
its measurement apparatus) or be causally effective at collapsing the
wave function of a subatomic particle.

>You can't say it's wrong because it doesn't account for dualism (of
>course it doesn't!)

I'm saying that you and Dennett refuse to admit to being property
dualists.

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

3b.

Re: On the Varieties of Dualism

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:44 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:
<snip>

SWM on accounting for consciousness:

> >There are a four ways on the table that I can think of offhand here:
>
> >1) The self or subject is seen as a separate existent from the things
> >it apprehends. (This is dualism though it may have more than one form
> >or way of being described: It could be a transcendental subject a la
> >Kant or a monad a la Leibniz or it could be a parallel dimension of
> >existence, co-existing with the physical phenomena of the world and of
> >which it is aware -- a Cartesian kind of dualism.)
>
> this account of substance dualism is quite confused.

It's intended as a generic account, not a specific presentation of any particular doctrine. As such it's meant to cover a variety of bases.

> a hard core physicalist would likely agree that the experiencing I is
> not identical to the stone, or the afterimage that it apprehends. that
> alone doesn't make the physicalist a dualist.

The point is that one either must presume that subjectness is lodged in the physical world (is an aspect of it) or it isn't, in which case it is a co-existent, etc., etc.

> what's important is how many 'substances' (types of metaphenomenal
> objects) and/or how many sets of properties are needed to explain the
> phenomenon in question: experiencing *as* an experiencing I, the self or
> subject.

The idea of a "susbtance" is somewhat antiquated today. One needn't speak in such terms to suppose that consciousness is ontologically distinct, in some basic sense, from other existents which, presumably, are physically derived. However, the point that needs to be made is that whether one calls it "substance" or something else, if one supposes this ontological divide (that one thing is not reducible to the other in terms of how it comes about) then one is on dualist ground.

One doesn't have to adhere to old ways of speaking, old concepts about how the universe is to be explained, in order to hold a dualist conception of this.

> all of those you mentioned, Kant, Leibniz and Descartes would be
> considered substance dualists according to this definition.

As I say, "substance" reflects an old way of speaking, one that is not essential to making the same point if one can explain it in different terms. I have noted many times in our discussions about this that I avoid reference to "susbtances" precisely because such a reference is entangled with old fashioned pictures of the universe, pictures that are not consistent with modern physics. But one needn't use an old fashioned vocabulary in order to invoke dualism. The mistake, or at least one mistake one can make about this, is supposing the idea depends on the particular vocabulary. There are generally many ways of expressing a point in language, of getting the same thing across, of speaking about the same idea.

> >2) The self or subject is one or more (an amalgam) of properties that
> >some physical phenomena (brains or parts of brains or activities of
> >brains) have/produce but which are irreducible to anything else (this
> >is also dualism but a more confused picture on my view -- it supposes
> >that brains somehow summon/bring/introduce some fundamentally new
> >existent into the world).
>
> this seems to be an attempt to describe property dualism; and, it is
> good to see that (despite years of claiming that they are
> indistinguishable) you are now striving to articulate the difference
> between them.

I am saying nothing different in the above than I said in the discussions where this first came up with Walter on Analytic. I said
then and say now that I agree with Searle that unless one is invoking what has historically been called "substance dualism", then merely to speak of mental properties of certain kinds of physical things or events is not dualism by itself. However, if one wishes to name it dualism, one can get away with it but then one has to see that this isn't the "dualism" that's meant by the kind of anti-dualist claim I have made and which I believe Dennett is opposing.

The further problem that came up with this was one Walter was never willing to explicate his own view on and to this day it remains unclarified. It was whether the "properties" of brains (or parts of brains or particular brain events) he alluded to are reducible to something purely physical in an explanatory sense. If they are reducible then there is no real dualism but if they are deemed to be irreducible then they are no different than a claim of "substance dualism" because an ontological basic is implied.

The distinction between a claim of property dualism of this type and the classical substance dualism you are so interested in appears to hinge on whether the claim of property dualism is a claim that something new enters or is brought into the world in lieu of its always having been present in some co-existent fashion with the physical phenomena of the world. But note that either way the implications are the same. If on the other hand one merely takes these "properties" of brains to be akin to what Minsky calls "system properties" then there is nothing about them that is ontologically distinct in terms of their genesis (even if they are not the same as other kinds of "properties" we encounter in the world, e.g., color, taste, texture, mass, shape, etc.) and in that case this isn't really dualism at all. Or if one wants to say it is, then one has lost the original raison d'etre for claiming dualism, i.e., the features of mind are seen to be proces s-based system features and there is nothing gained by noting that they aren't the same as the observable features or properties of the process-based system itself. Of course they're not. Who would deny it?

This whole dualist business strikes me as a big mish-mosh of confused usages and concepts.

> all that is required to establish property dualism is using two sets of
> properties to explain ... whatever.

See above.

> >3) The self or subject is one or more (an amalgam) of properties
> >(features) that some physical phenomena (brains or parts of brains or
> >activities of brains) have/produce and which ARE reducible to those
> >phenomena (which are not, themselves, subject-like, i.e., they lack the
> >qualities we associate with being a subject, etc.).

This is the idea that one can call the features of mind "properties" without invoking any genuine dualism, hence "property dualism" is rather confused. However, I will note that Walter claimed that Searle misstated the property dualist position and that, on his view, no real property dualists fall into the ontological dualist divide that characterizes the kinds of dualism you call "substance dualism". However, because Walter refused to explicate his own view as to the question of whether features of consciousness associated with brains can be reduced to physical processes that are not themselves conscious, he left unanswered whether he was prepared to take his assertion to its logical conclusion that, in such a case, Searle would be right and that THAT kind of dualism would not really be dualism in the sense that dualism matters at all.

> >4) The self or subject is not explicable in any way, it just happens to
> >be present in the universe and we can't say how or understand why,
> >etc., etc. It's just an unresolvable mystery of being.
>
> we've covered this possibility before. neither of us believes that the
> presence of subjectivity in an otherwise objective universe is
> inherently inexplicable. you think that the presence of the experiencing
> I has already been solved; whereas, I don't. you think there is no
> mystery; but, I think the mystery remains.

Yes we are in disagreement here and that just reflects our different conceptions of consciousness and of what it takes to understand consciousness. The point of the above breakout that I provided to Bruce was to show what I take the options to be. I take it that you are adamant that some form of dualism is required to explain the occurrence of minds in an otherwise physical universe?

All though you have never given an explicit affirmation that that is your position, it certainly seems to be from all you've said. As you note, I take a different view. But note that I don't deny that a mystery remains. Indeed, because I think this is finally an empirical question and that it has not actually been resolved, I do not deny that there is plenty we don't yet know. The difference in our positions seems to be that you are a believer in the idea of a uniquely "hard problem" (a la Chalmers) whereas I am not. That is, I think that a Dennettian type model is likely to prove adequate when put to the empirical test.

> in any case this option is not relevant to discussions of whether the
> von Neumann Interpretation of QM is or is not dualistic.

The only thing that's relevant is whether the von Neumann thesis implies something with regard to consciousness that is equivalent to dualism, in which case a model like Dennett's cannot be successful if the von Neumann thesis is then true. But of course that remains an open question as well!

> >As you know, I hold that #3 offers the best explanation for the
> >presence of subjects in the universe. But I don't pretend to "show" why
> >#3 is true because I don't claim it is true! It's a way of explaining,
> >of understanding, the phenomenon.
>
> >On this view, it strikes me that #3 is the best choice because it
> >doesn't require that we posit extra existents in the universe (the
> >dualism of 1 and 2),
>
> property dualism doesn't postulate extra existents;

We have seen that that remains an open question. If mental properties are not seen to be reducible to other things that are not themselves mental properties, if intentionality as a property of some brain or brain part or brain event is not reducible to some brain events, etc., then extra existents are being postulated even if they are only supposed to be brought into existence by the brains or their parts themselves.

The issue at bottom that makes something dualism is not whether a vocabulary of substances is in play but whether reducibility is allowed.

>unless, you have a
> weird definition of 'existent'; otherwise, property dualism just
> requires two sets of properties.

The issue is reducibility. We can explain redness in terms of physical phenomena on a level of decriptive physics. The question then is whether we can also explain the awareness of the redness on a similar descriptive level or not. If we can, then there is no dualism but if the claim is that we cannot, then there is. However, the point of Dennett's model is to present a way of doing this that accounts for all the features of consciousness on a physically descriptive level so to demonstrate his model can't work you have to identify at least one feature that is essential to any designation of consciousness which cannot be so reduced. Merely to say it has yet to have been done completely (one of PJ's arguments) is not sufficient because the issue is what can be done not what has been done.

On the other hand you seem to be insisting that the von Neumann interpretation implies something about consciousness that isn't accounted for by Dennett's model (free will? causality?). But for some reason you still haven't made a case for either beyond assertion. And it isn't enough to assert that Dennett's model misses the boat because it doesn't account for dualist assumptions when it's point is to discard those very assumptions.

> in any event, just having a taxonomy of belief systems is not enough.
> one must also apply it consistently and coherently; but, you are not.
> you, Dennett and Searle are all trying to be in category 3; but, neither
> you nor Dennett can avoid the same latent property dualism of which
> you've accused Searle.

I'll let you demonstrate that with an argument then since I think that is just wrong.

> physical objects have physical properties that cause measurable
> phenomena. some objects also have physical properties that cause
> experienceable phenomena.

All measureable phenomena are experienceable since you cannot measure what cannot be encountered in experience, either directly or indirectly. This distinction is not a distinction at all.

> >Now you can continue insisting that a "phenomenological reality" cannot
> >be "physically derived" unless someone can show you that it can but all
> >you are doing by this is insisting on a dualist picture (as seen in
> >either #1 or #2 or, perhaps, some variant I haven't accounted for
> >above).
>
> my claim is that the von Neumann Interpretation is dualistic (type 1)
> because the abstract 'I' von Neumann postulated is best classified as an
> I-3 (an entity of reality type 3) on the grounds that it is required to
> be non-physical and causally effective.

And I have pointed out that there is nothing in this thesis that requires that a subject be a stand-alone entity in the universe. A physically derived subject can be conceived of just as readily as a monadic type.

However, I have also asked you to sa a bit more about what YOU mean by an "abstract I" since it's possible you mean something more than what I am getting from the usage. To date though you've been rather reticent to deal with this.

> >But it is no argument against a Dennettian model to say that it is
> >wrong because it doesn't explain things dualistically.
>
> I am saying that a Dennettian account of consciousness such as your own
> does not explain how a fictitious entity, the self, described as a
> 'narrative center of gravity' make a free choice (as to how to set up
> its measurement apparatus) or be causally effective at collapsing the
> wave function of a subatomic particle.

And I am saying that it certainly does, i.e., by understanding the self or subject as a complex system with many sub-systems and parts and that within this complex are physically causal elements and that what you are calling the "narrative center of gravity" that is also a part of it (after Dennett's usage) is not necessarily a stand-alone entity. Such a complex model of a self could operate as a subject, indeed, it could play the role of an "abstract I" which, finally, is just that, a role (unless you can explicate it in a way that shows that it is something more).

> >You can't say it's wrong because it doesn't account for dualism (of
> >course it doesn't!)
>
> I'm saying that you and Dennett refuse to admit to being property
> dualists.
>
> Joe

See my analysis above of what is meant by "property dualism". However, if it makes you feel more at ease, I will gladly accept the terminology as a way of describing this position as long as it is seen to have no relation to any kind of dualism that hinges on the supposition of at least two ontological basics co-existing in the universe. The problem with this, though, is that your dualism DOES seem to require that and so you need me to say I am a "property dualist" so you can construe my position as dualism which, of course, it isn't as already described and explained numerous times above.

If this is about nomenclature alone, we could readily resolve this by carefully explaining and defining our positions. But the problem is that this goes beyond the words themselves since you insist on this von Neumann thesis you have elaborated which implies NOT property dualism as I have offered it but a deeper dualism, one of ontological basics. Thus in the end this argument between us rests on a confusion, your attachment to the idea of dualism and the terminology associated with it, whatever others may mean by the terms.

SWM

3c.

Re: On the Varieties of Dualism

Posted by: "jrstern" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:58 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:

> a hard core physicalist would likely agree that the experiencing
> I is not identical to the stone, or the afterimage that it
> apprehends. that alone doesn't make the physicalist a dualist.

Hi.

Hard core physicalist here.

I would not agree that the "I" is not identical to the stone.

I *would* lose my hard core license if I did.

Have a nice day.

Josh

ps - I just picked up Rorty's "Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature",
and commend everyone (re)read the ten page introduction, it puts all
the issues and schools of thought very nicely in context.

Rorty's position is that the "Mirror of Nature" ideas about the mind
are wrong, and the separate "I" is just classic Descartes. Rorty
also says a few things about what different people ask of philosophy,
whereby some people may be happy talking about the "I" *because*
they (think that they) experience it, and they think such discussion
is the proper domain of philosophy, while for others, there is more
demand for further questioning, even of experience. Rorty says it
very much better than I just have.

But then, in the next couple of pages, I believe Rorty does just
what turns people off about hard core physicalist or monist
positions, and starts to deny the "I" phenomenon. Now, I need to
reread more of the book, probably the whole book. Because what
Rorty says in the introduction, I feel, is exactly the right thing.
The question is, how to you preserve the phenomenon and still
find a naturalistic - that is, hard core physicalist - explanation
for it? I want to have a bit more respect for the phenomenon, than
I believe Rorty required of himself.

btw, he mentions Wittgenstein, a lot, and accurately by my lights.

3d.

On the Varieties of Dualism

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:23 pm (PST)

jrstern wrote:
> --- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:
>> a hard core physicalist would likely agree that the experiencing
>> I is not identical to the stone, or the afterimage that it
>> apprehends. that alone doesn't make the physicalist a dualist.
>
> Hi.
>
> Hard core physicalist here.
>
> I would not agree that the "I" is not identical to the stone.
>
> I *would* lose my hard core license if I did.

Are you claiming that stones are capable of using self-referential pronouns?

Joe

--
Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

3e.

Re: On the Varieties of Dualism

Posted by: "jrstern" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:34 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:

> > I would not agree that the "I" is not identical to the stone.
> >
> > I *would* lose my hard core license if I did.
>
> Are you claiming that stones are capable of using self-referential pronouns?

Moi?

You were the one who hypothesized that it might.

All I'm saying is, if it did, it would be because of processes
that are nothing but states of the stone.

Josh

4a.

Is the von Neumann Interpretation Dualistic?

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:11 pm (PST)

SWM wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>SWM wrote:

>>>That is apparently your conclusion but I don't read it that way for
>>>the reasons already given,

and those reasons are ...

* that you haven't yet read von Neumann yourself; and, you refuse to do
so.

* you've decided that because I'm quoting von Neumann when I describe
his views (which I do because you have no independent knowledge of those
views) I'm presenting my own interpretation of von Neumann's
interpretation of QM

* you refuse to do any of your own research and you question the
contribution that actual physicists might make to the discussion.

and, yet, somehow you have an opinion anyway...

>>you could also check out the work of those other physicists who've
>>constructed their own versions of the von Neumann interpretation.

>What makes you think they matter in this discussion?

are you saying that you are impervious to any argument that the von
Neumann Interpretation is a type 1 dualism according to your taxonomy
and a substance dualism according to traditional criteria?

if not; then, what exactly would it take to make the case that the von
Neumann Interpretation dualistic in that sense?

>YOU say if von Neumann's interpretation of the issue of wave
>function-collapse is true then Dennett's thesis is false and pin this
>on the claim that Dennett's thesis implies epiphenomenalism, meaning
>consciousness can cause nothing while the wave collapse function
>implies that consciousness does cause something.

>But I have explained to you why I don't think epiphenomenalism is
>implied by a Dennettian thesis, i.e., brains are causal and
>consciousness is a function of brains, hence aspects of consciousness
>are causal insofar as they are aspects of brain operations, etc., etc.
>That is, I do not embrace a dualism that insists that minds and brains
>are divided ontologically as you seem to. On the view I am espousing,
>they are a single phenomenon even if we can treat them, in certain
>contexts, as distinct phenomena (speaking about this or that feature of
>mind, etc.).

treating the mind and the brain as a single entity and then saying that
it is the *brain* that is causally effective is precisely what makes the
mind epiphenomenal (causally ineffective).

can you reverse the claim that you've often made that the mind is
something the brain 'does'? can you give us some set of circumstances in
which the mind is 'doing' the brain?

that might us see that the experiencing I is causally effective because
of its own efforts not because you've decided that you can attribute the
causal efficacy of the brain to an effect of the brain's activity.

in essence, to establish the causal efficacy of the mind, you have to
break the causal closure of the physical. Does Dennett do that? do you?

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

4b.

Re: Is the von Neumann Interpretation Dualistic?

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:16 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:

<snip>

> and those reasons are ...
>
> * that you haven't yet read von Neumann yourself; and, you refuse to do
> so.

This is about YOUR interpretation of von Neumann and whatever argument you are making for it. It is not about von Neumann's claims because 1) he isn't here making them and 2) merely making a claim does not establish it as being true which, as you've noted, would be the thing working against Dennett's thesis being true in this discussion.

I'm willing to entertain the notion that such a thesis as you describe may be antithetical to Dennett's approach but you still need to show how it would and you haven't done that as yet. You need to show that 1) being a von Neumannian "abstract I", as you call it, implies a consciousness that is outside of physical reality (is causally unrelated to the physical world in its genesis) -- I have said that I don't see that at all because one can conceive of a subject as being physically derived (Dennett's model)-- and 2) that there is something about consciousness, implied by the Polanik interpretation of the von Neumann thesis, that is not adequately accounted for by Dennett's model.

You've suggested that this last is the notion of a self, i.e., a self-aware something in the world that has causal powers in relation to the physical world but which cannot be explained as being part of that physical world because the Dennettian model necessarily denies it that relation (i.e., that Dennett's model implies epiphenomenalism). And I have responded that on the Dennnettian model epiphenomenalism is NOT implied because the effective self can be accounted for as an aspect of a complex system rather than of a simple entity-like thing called a self.

> * you've decided that because I'm quoting von Neumann when I describe
> his views (which I do because you have no independent knowledge of those
> views) I'm presenting my own interpretation of von Neumann's
> interpretation of QM

I only know of von Neumann what you give us here so I make no claim that I am responding to von Neumann. I am only responding to you.

> * you refuse to do any of your own research and you question the
> contribution that actual physicists might make to the discussion.

I don't need to research your claim about what someone else has said because it doesn't matter what they have said. What is at issue here is what YOU are saying on this issue. Von Neumann is not on this list making claims, you are. I am not disputing whether you have got von Neumann right or not. Frankly that's irrelevant. What matters is whether you can, citing von Neumann or not, make a case for your claim that Dennett's thesis cannot fully account for consciousness.

> and, yet, somehow you have an opinion anyway...

See above.

> >>you could also check out the work of those other physicists who've
> >>constructed their own versions of the von Neumann interpretation.
>
> >What makes you think they matter in this discussion?
>
> are you saying that you are impervious to any argument that the von
> Neumann Interpretation is a type 1 dualism according to your taxonomy
> and a substance dualism according to traditional criteria?

I am not impervious to any argument you care to make on this list. But claiming others agree with you (whether they know it or not!) is not an argument against anything I've said.

You have your position so make your best case. The claims of others who are off list are not to the point unless the issue is whether any of us citing them have them right. To think otherwise is to fall into the very ordinary logical fallacy of arguing from authority.

Now it is highly pertinent to look at the actual text of someone (say Dennett or Dehaene or Searle, etc.) when the argument is about whether any of us has got our interpretations of what they've said right or not. Did Searle really claim that Dennett's thesis isn't what he means by "strong AI" for instance? Or does he really so narrowly construe "strong AI" as to make it impossible for anyone to dispute the claims he wants to draw from his CRA? In cases like this, it makes sense to go back to the source, examine his actual words, etc., etc.

But that sort of thing isn't relevant to a claim made on this list by Joe Polanik 'that X', i.e., that claim is not sustained by saying well, vN made the same claim or reading his own statements one cannot help but conclude that he did! I am not disputing what von Neumann said or didn't say here, only what Joe Polanik is saying. And that you must back up with an argument, not off-line references.

> if not; then, what exactly would it take to make the case that the von
> Neumann Interpretation dualistic in that sense?

Answer the questions I've posed:

1) What do you mean by an "abstract I"? What are examples of it? What does it tell us about the nature of a self to say it is one?

2) Why do you think that the von Neumann thesis you are pressing here entails that a subject cannot be physically derived? (Recall that I have said that I see nothing in it that implies that at all and I have given my reasons for that.)

> >YOU say if von Neumann's interpretation of the issue of wave
> >function-collapse is true then Dennett's thesis is false and pin this
> >on the claim that Dennett's thesis implies epiphenomenalism, meaning
> >consciousness can cause nothing while the wave collapse function
> >implies that consciousness does cause something.
>
> >But I have explained to you why I don't think epiphenomenalism is
> >implied by a Dennettian thesis, i.e., brains are causal and
> >consciousness is a function of brains, hence aspects of consciousness
> >are causal insofar as they are aspects of brain operations, etc., etc.
> >That is, I do not embrace a dualism that insists that minds and brains
> >are divided ontologically as you seem to. On the view I am espousing,
> >they are a single phenomenon even if we can treat them, in certain
> >contexts, as distinct phenomena (speaking about this or that feature of
> >mind, etc.).
>

> treating the mind and the brain as a single entity and then saying that
> it is the *brain* that is causally effective is precisely what makes the
> mind epiphenomenal (causally ineffective).

I have not treated the mind and the brain as a single entity! Indeed, my point is that the mind is not an entity at all but just a particular process-based system running in some brains doing certain things. Moreover, I have said many times that not all brains are conscious and even those that are capable of being so aren't always nor are they fully conscious in all their operations in any event.

The point, again, is that the aware self is a complex of subsystems running within and as a part of a larger overarching system that consists of multiple brain operations. The brain has a causal relation to the world through the body and the aware self (or complex of selves) in the mind mind is(are) a part of the larger brain system.

> can you reverse the claim that you've often made that the mind is
> something the brain 'does'? can you give us some set of circumstances in
> which the mind is 'doing' the brain?

Why would I want to do that? Above you accuse me of "treating the mind and the brain as a single entity" but that is your clear mistake. I don't treat the mind as an entity at all! Like Bruce you fall into dualistic usages, evidencing your dualism, but unlike Bruce you seem to at least wish to embrace dualism whereas Bruce is busy denying it everytime he repeats the same dualistic usages (and then accuses me of making arguments that imply his usages!).

> that might us see that the experiencing I is causally effective because
> of its own efforts not because you've decided that you can attribute the
> causal efficacy of the brain to an effect of the brain's activity.

The question is not whether the "I" is causally effective (we all go through life presuming it is). The question is how can it be if it isn't a physical thing in the world? And the answer is that it IS physical -- only physical in a different way than the usual physical suspects in our everyday usages are thought to be physical!

> in essence, to establish the causal efficacy of the mind, you have to
> break the causal closure of the physical. Does Dennett do that? do you?
>
> Joe

My view (and I think it's consistent with Dennett's) is that there is no causal closure as you describe since there is no separate mental entity, only what brains (and any equivalent platforms) do.

SWM

5a.

Re: SWM: A tale of two stances

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:29 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> As to "who takes a stance" obviously we as speakers do --
> As to "in what sense can a stance be caused?"
> The brain as the operating entity performs certain functions via
physical processes

Which summary statement comes closest you your viewpoint.

1. My brain causes me to take a stance. I just find myself taking a
stance. It seems as if I choose it, but actually my brain is causing it
and I have no choice.

2. My brain takes a stance. "I" just refers to what the brain does. So
my brain doesn't cause me to take a stance because there is no "me"
aside from my brain.

3. My brain uses physical processes to take a stance. Even though the
processes are physically causes, the brain can pick and choose among the
causes it responds to.

> Now does the brain reason? Well, it does indeed if it is the seat of a
mind,

Sounds like # 3. The brain acts on the basis of reasons which usually is
contrasted to responding to causes. A reason for doing something may not
lead to anything. And two people may appear to be doing the same thing
but give very different reasons for acting.

Seems to me that you have "mentalized" the brain. It's physical. You
like that. And now you attribute properties that once was reserved for
mind.

> Of course you use your brain to reason.

That would be # 4. Start with a person, not physical, not mental, and
describe how he lives in the world. From this perspective one wouldn't
ask for the origin of the person because the person can't see where he
started. But...

> My personality is the result (has been caused by) a combination of my
genetic predispositions

can be said of others. If you are found guilty of a crime would you plea
that your personality caused it. Where were you when it was happening.
Just observing yourself?

bruce

5b.

Re: SWM: A tale of two stances

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:58 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

<snip>

> Which summary statement comes closest you your viewpoint.
>
> 1. My brain causes me to take a stance. I just find myself taking a
> stance. It seems as if I choose it, but actually my brain is causing it
> and I have no choice.
>

> 2. My brain takes a stance. "I" just refers to what the brain does. So
> my brain doesn't cause me to take a stance because there is no "me"
> aside from my brain.
>

> 3. My brain uses physical processes to take a stance. Even though the
> processes are physically causes, the brain can pick and choose among the
> causes it responds to.

None really. Try this:

I take stances because of what I am (including what my brain is and does) and the stances I take express particular ways of relating to the phenomena I am taking a stance toward.

> > Now does the brain reason? Well, it does indeed if it is the seat of a
> mind,
>
> Sounds like # 3. The brain acts on the basis of reasons which usually is
> contrasted to responding to causes. A reason for doing something may not
> lead to anything. And two people may appear to be doing the same thing
> but give very different reasons for acting.

Thinking, indeed being conscious, aware, etc., happens in brains.

The reasons we may give for what we do are often only partial in that there are often reasons we don't recognize as such, aren't aware of, etc. Moreover, we rarely have one reason for doing anything and so, when we give reasons, to ourselves or others, we typically only touch on some of the reasons which, if we thought harder, we could probably come up with more though even this is no guarantee our accounting of our reasons will be exhaustive. And, of course, we often have as many reasons for not doing something as for doing it.

> Seems to me that you have "mentalized" the brain. It's physical. You
> like that. And now you attribute properties that once was reserved for
> mind.

Say, rather, that I am after an account that is sufficiently complex to cover all the bases of how my mind operates and how it comes to be.

> > Of course you use your brain to reason.
>
> That would be # 4. Start with a person, not physical, not mental,

But a person is both physical and mental, that is we recognize only animated bodies as being persons, not corpses.

> and
> describe how he lives in the world.

None of what I have said about brains and minds militates against discourse about persons and how they live in the world!

> From this perspective one wouldn't
> ask for the origin of the person because the person can't see where he
> started. But...

But the question at hand is how is it that bodies, such as ours, are animated with features like awareness, understanding, intentionality, etc.?

> > My personality is the result (has been caused by) a combination of my
> genetic predispositions
>
> can be said of others.

Certainly. Why would I not?

> If you are found guilty of a crime would you plea
> that your personality caused it. Where were you when it was happening.
> Just observing yourself?
>
> bruce

One could observe oneself but that is irrelevant to the issue of personal responsibility, legal culpability, etc.

Here you bring in issues that are entirely beside the point of the question at hand.

SWM

5c.

Re: SWM: A tale of two stances

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:52 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> I take stances because of what I am (including what my brain is and
does)

"Because of what I am" means you, SWM, take all this into account, or is
SWM nothing more than a mirror his brain activity.

> Thinking, indeed being conscious, aware, etc., happens in brains.

Something happens in brains which is correlated with thinking, etc. In
brains, the happening is strictly causal, in consciousness does one
thought, one feeling cause the other and Bruce simply refers to this
soup?

> The reasons we may give for what we do are often only partial...

True. But even partial reasons are not causes. A reason causes nothing.
Right?

> None of what I have said about brains and minds militates against
discourse about persons...

I've granted that. You look upon me as a machine just cranking our
whatever responses I've been programmed to perform. Or you can look at
me as person acting in terms of reasons. Which makes the most sense?
Obviously, the latter is more intuitive. But you think it unscientific.
You think it requires positing some self entity that exists in the head.
Though you speak of functionalities, you don't grasp that a functional
account posits no entities.

> But the question at hand is how is it that bodies...animated with
features
> like awareness, understanding, intentionality, etc.?

As Dennett says we animate certain bodies. We see them as aware, etc. We
are inclined as a species to do this. Still, this doesn't satisfy
Dennett or you. It sounds as if one were saying that there is a spirit
in us that gets us to animate, attribute a spirit to others. And we know
that this animation doesn't happen if the brain doesn't work. So the
brain must do it, somehow, on its own. But what the brain does isn't
anything like what we do. So, back to the spirit. A vicious circle.

To break the circle, we have to stop thinking of consciousness in terms
of entities, either spiritual or physical.

bruce

5d.

Re: SWM: A tale of two stances

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:58 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
>
> > I take stances because of what I am (including what my brain is and
> does)
>
> "Because of what I am" means you, SWM, take all this into account, or is
> SWM nothing more than a mirror his brain activity.

In terms of being aware, perceiving, thinking, remembering, having a sense of being a self, SWM is nothing more than his brain activity (supported, of course, by whatever other physical functions are needed in the rest of his body to enable his brain to continue operating). End any of those critical support functions and the brain ends and so, too, does SWM. End the brain more directly, and SWM goes away, too. Nor does SWM have any belief that he or it persists when the brain has ceased to operate permanently. SWM does not think he could have outer body experiences, he can astrally project or that he will survive the death of his body, including his brain, in some ghostly form.

It is possible, of course, that SWM simply doesn't know enough about how the universe is and so all these things he has no expectation of could actually occur. But he has no reason to think they are likely, nor does he think there is any reason to hold a picture of the world in which such things would be possible based on what he knows (or believes he knows) about brains and being a consciousness.

> > Thinking, indeed being conscious, aware, etc., happens in brains.
>
> Something happens in brains which is correlated with thinking, etc.

Correlation implies two separate phenomena that happen to occur in a coincidental relation. Of course, correlation can be evidence of a relation that is more than mere correlation. As of now I see no reason to suppose there are two entities, a mental and a physical that happen to correlate in their occurrence even if correlation is evident. What correlation suggests here is a much closer relationship than mere coincidental occurrence.

> In
> brains, the happening is strictly causal, in consciousness does one
> thought, one feeling cause the other and Bruce simply refers to this
> soup?

Oh lord, here we go again. Consider that I have simply reprised my past remarks about different uses of "cause" and how no one use exhausts the word's meaning.

> > The reasons we may give for what we do are often only partial...
>
> True. But even partial reasons are not causes. A reason causes nothing.
> Right?

A reason may be an explanation or a description and what it describes may be a causal relation. It may also be a cause insofar as I act because of it and thereby cause something through my action. So the cause of my crossing the street is that I wanted to get to the other side which, as it happens, is also my reason for crossing.

> > None of what I have said about brains and minds militates against
> discourse about persons...
>
> I've granted that. You look upon me as a machine just cranking our
> whatever responses I've been programmed to perform. Or you can look at
> me as person acting in terms of reasons. Which makes the most sense?
> Obviously, the latter is more intuitive. But you think it unscientific.

I think that when we deal with others or even ourselves we deal within a framework of ideas, of motives, of thoughts, and of feelings, etc. When we consider what is needed to create and sustain such frameworks, to make a subject and a community of subjects we deal with a different level of concern, i.e., how brains work to produce minds.

> You think it requires positing some self entity that exists in the head.

We already have a sense of self. The question is where does it come from and what is it, in the final analysis.

> Though you speak of functionalities, you don't grasp that a functional
> account posits no entities.

Oy.

> > But the question at hand is how is it that bodies...animated with
> features
> > like awareness, understanding, intentionality, etc.?
>
> As Dennett says we animate certain bodies. We see them as aware, etc.

No, that is not what he says. He says that "intentionality" is a way of talking about certain kinds of behaviors rather than others, that there is no thing in the creature that is what we mean by "intention." I would say that there is just the behaviors and what makes them happen in the subject's mental life. Certainly we don't "animate" anything by imputation. THAT is a function that requires some scientific know how as yet unavailable to us.

>We
> are inclined as a species to do this. Still, this doesn't satisfy
> Dennett or you. It sounds as if one were saying that there is a spirit
> in us that gets us to animate, attribute a spirit to others.

Oy again! What's with this spirit business? Once a while back you asserted that mind is best understood as "spirit" (your term) though you haven't said anything like that more recently. But here you bring the term back in only now you want to say it is implicit in my view -- when you are the one who brings it up! Look, Dennett's idea of the "intentional stance" is not about spirits and such. Indeed it is the farthest thing possible from THAT view!

> And we know
> that this animation doesn't happen if the brain doesn't work. So the
> brain must do it, somehow, on its own.

Well it has a little help from the rest of the body of course!

> But what the brain does isn't
> anything like what we do.

Well no, of course not, because we are not stand-alone brains but complex entities with brains as well as lots of other organs, all working together to create a particular kind of physical system.

>So, back to the spirit. A vicious circle.

Your circle, though, Bruce, not mine. Just because you can't imagine this without invoking the idea of spirit (anymore than you seem able to imagine it without invoking the idea of mental stuff!) doesn't mean that such things are a part of what I have been talking about!

> To break the circle, we have to stop thinking of consciousness in terms
> of entities, either spiritual or physical.
>
> bruce

Congratulations. Now let's talk about what it is brains do that makes consciousness occur in the world.

SWM

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News