[Wittrs] Wittgenstein, Statistics and Judgment

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LAWCOURT-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <LAWCOURT-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:27:34 -0800 (PST)

... I don't have time to do this now. I've got too much on my plate. I'd like
to maybe help next week. There's no guarantee of that either. But it is such a
good conversation that I do hope to say something helpful. But I do want to
quickly note a couple of obvious problems with your view in passing:

1. It really doesn't surprise me that many number crunchers would fail to see
how Wittgenstein could help people when their "science claims." There's not a
subject in the world that Wittgenstein couldn't help. It's really doesn't
benefit our field if scholars harbor such an attitude.

2. The comments about "what expert opinion is" and how you could replicate it
formally is PRECISELY the kind of thing that Wittgenstein is concerned with in
several areas of his later work. In saying things like "how does one select
among connoisseurs," etc., -- aren't we really admitting that we haven't a firm
grasp on what aesthetical judgments are to Wittgenstein, and how they fit into
his other ideas? I wonder, have you read this stuff -- or are you just going
off what you intuitively feel that the word "connoisseur" is doing in the
sentence?

A connoisseur is not a from-the-seat prognosticator. It's not asking Terry
Bradshaw who will win the football game and comparing that to a computer model.
This is the thing that is not understood. When you poll the law professors
about who will win the case, they aren't giving you a "connoisseur judgment,"
at least not in a Wittgensteinian sense. If any student would have written that
in a paper, it would be near the F range.

To have a connoisseur, you must first have a specific behavior that becomes
celebrated in the culture. There's a learning curve with the appreciation of
the behavior. Only after the person goes through the learning curve (training)
does he or she come to fully understand its context. The connoisseurs are what
keep the context properly appreciated. So if the behavior is predicting how a
judge would vote, I suppose the only true connoisseurs of that activity would
be the judge's wife (spouse). And there would have to be a learned appreciation
for this specific behavior.

Try to relate this to Wittgenstein's views on aspect seeing and imponderable
evidence. The connoisseur understands the behavior the way that the mother can
understand a child just by looking at the eyes.  The connoisseur doesn't use or
need "statistics" because he or she already has superior information. He or she
has developed the ability to "aspect-see." The rest of us, of course, have no
choice but to rely on whatever information we can. We're are neither the
judge's spouse nor the child's parent. The difficulty comes when some of us
throw away the stats to make our own hunches. The question of whether this is
good or bad is ultimately a function of how good the information is versus how
insightful the person might be at "seeing something." I threw away a linear
regression about approval ratings because I didn't think its picture of account
more helpful than the one I had formed by watching and studying presidential
elections. The fallacy here is to
 say that I threw away "science" for something inferior. Surely I did not.

Note also that if the behavior in question is what constitutes good legal
casuistry, there are connoisseurs here -- Ronald Dworkin probably being the
best. Legal judging is clearly an "aesthetic" in a Wittgensteinian sense, as my
book will shortly show. We must be careful about one thing: not all
supposed connoisseurs are good at their craft. Just as you can get a bad
haircut or a bad tailor, so too can you get a bad judge or philosophy-of-law
scholar. (Or a bad parent or poor spouse). It's not enough that a person be in
the position of connoisseur; to do the job right, they must be good at it.

So, if you ever do build a true connoisseur simulator (with AI), it would have
absolutely nothing to do with the fact that connoisseur judgment plays the role
that it does in our life. Wittgenstein isn't against you building anything.
He's mostly concerned that, when you make claims, you aren't confused.

I've got to go to bed and I can't do any more of this for a while. Let's talk
about it next month. It would really be a good panel!

(P.S. Sent to Wittrs -- careful when hitting reply all)

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
[spoiler]Assistant Professor
Wright State University