[Wittrs] Wittgenstein, Judgment & Statistics

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LAWCOURT-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <LAWCOURT-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:33:37 -0800 (PST)

Greetings Jeff.

First, thank you for those references. It will take me a few days to digest
them. I'm trying to finish up my book, for good, because I have manuscript
submission deadlines approaching. But I would enjoy a discussion in here about
Wittgenstein's idea of "connoisseur judgment" and how it compares with those
who base judgment purely upon statistical inference -- and what, in fact, that
even means. My guess is that each camp has information deficits relative to one
another. It would be a cutting edge discussion: one that could deserve its own
conference panel. Let me digest these sources of yours and offer some thoughts
about how a proper understanding of connoisseur judgment could help these
conversations, if it can.

I'll try to get some thoughts together by next week.

But thank you once again for the references.

(P.S. Sent to Wittrs)

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor