[Wittrs] Re: Why Make a Discussion Group Wittgenstein-Tested?

  • From: brendan downs <downs_brendan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 17:30:20 +1200

how can one discuss when one is so obsecure in meaning? Shakespear is a good
example. "He jest at scars that never felt a wound, but soft what light though
yonder window breaks. it is the east and juliet is the sun,. Arise fair sun and
kill this moon who is all but sick and green with envy". Is what he is saying
so immediate obvious? Or do return to analyse to understand this? If obvious
why do have secondary texts?

Brendan.

> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 10:56:48 -0700
> From: whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Wittrs] Why Make a Discussion Group Wittgenstein-Tested?
> To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Why would one want to have a Wittgenstein-learned and appreciative discussion
> group? Couldn't one do this with any thinker? Wouldn't such a group just be
> for "groupies?" Is the premise of the group flawed?
>
> Below I offer what might be regarded as a kind of "ideology" about this
> matter. (But I don't mean that word in its negative sense).
>
> Wittgenstein's intellectualism represents a journey. The journey begins with
> one of analysis and formality and ends with one of meaning, context and a
> acute sense of refinement. This is a process of development, not a fashion
> store. Wittgenstein did not simply change clothes: he transcended one realm
> into another. Here is what I want to say: one's thoughts can only GRADUATE
> into "the new way." And what we find is that far too many people cannot get
> to graduation. They stay with the old forms of disputation ("debate").
>
> Keep in mind that I describe not post-modernism, but post-Wittgensteinianism.
> The difference is that the former TRANSCENDS the hard ways of knowing (logic,
> fact), while the latter merely rebels against it. The former is never
> irrational; it merely changes what rationality is in a sophisticated mind.
> "To climb the mountain," to so speak, one needs NOT to be good at memory,
> particulars, mathematics or debate, etc. -- but rather at what might be
> called a kind of "synthetic cognition." That is, the ability to relate ideas
> to one another using skills not unlike what artists use. Wittgenstein had a
> unique ability to "live"  ideas. The man took the world of ideas more
> seriously than any intellectual I can think of who ever existed. (I don't
> mean living for one idea or cause, by the way -- like Mother Theresa. I mean
> living for ideas themselves. One might pick Socrates as a good candidate).
>
> And so, we are here in this group because all of us are appreciative of the
> intellectual journey that Wittgenstein made. In fact, in varying degrees, we
> have all been touched by Wittgenstein's thinking. We see his thinking as
> setting a new intellectual parameter (or paradigm) within which further
> thinking should progress (one way or the other). Only if one can properly
> understand Ludwig can one then begin to entertain the idea, "Wittgenstein is
> wrong or Wittgenstein is right."
>
> Here's the point: people who don't properly understand Wittgenstein tend to
> make poor discussants. They tend to make ordinary manuevers in thought. They
> can't conjugate expressions. They don't know their way around a family
> resemblance. They can't translate a lexicon. In a manner of speaking, their
> minds can only "point."
>
> And so, we want to assemble in here people who have struggled with
> Wittgenstein's thoughts to the point of seeing themselves become better at
> [...]

Brrr... its getting cold out there Find someone to snuggle up with
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fdating%2Enz%2Emsn%2Ecom%2Fchannel%2Findex%2Easpx%3Ftrackingid%3D1048628&_t=773568480&_r=nzWINDOWSliveMAILemailTAGLINES&_m=EXT