[Wittrs] The Stakes of the Physicalist Consciousness Debate

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittgenstein's Aftermath <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 11:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Serious Philosophy, I had asked what the stakes were to the on going debate
between Stuart and the others. One of the replies was from Larry Tapper, who
stated this: "Well, the main issue is whether we are basically computers. And
to some (like Joe perhaps) the issue might be whether we could have immortal
souls. That would be pretty high stakes."

It seems to me that these, in fact, are not the stakes. Rather, the stakes are
only how we want to speak of what we are. If Stuart's position is correct, what
actually changes, factually, in our form of life? Imagine a world where God
came down and said, "Tomorrow, I shall change you into, basically, computers."
If true, this would seem to pose a real problem: for something seems to change,
empirically, tomorrow. Indeed, we would all wonder what this would mean and
what would happen. I can think of devastating results.

But let's suppose tomorrow came and nothing changed. We would be left with only
two conclusions: (a) either the person wasn't God; or (b) we had to change the
way we talked about our existence.

This dispute seems only to have psychological stakes. I'd get threatened from
having my picture of account molested with. But if only THIS PICTURE could
be combated, the person would again be rescued. In other words, if only the
person could see that nothing about the form of life was ever in jeopardy, then
the person would come to see that the only thing different is how we speak of
it. For example, I could still talk of spirits and souls, just using a
computational lexicon. I could even talk of God as being meta-computational
super-duper physicality, the kind quite different from, say "desk."

In fact, all that this debate really is about is whether you like sci-phi or
mysticism. The only true stakes are aesthetical. What is happening is that one
person's aspect-sight of the form of life (physical, computational) is being
urged over another aspect-sight (spiritual, mystical). But the problem is that
the combatants do not recognize that the issue is aspect-driven. They don't see
that they are fighting merely over a picture of account. For if they did
realize this, the discussion would be quieted, and we would simply wait for
more information as to which picture would become vindicated. And even if it
does turn out that God is, in fact, a meta-computational entity composed of
super-duper physicality, all that would change is that we would adjust our
present ideals (faiths) to fit that new picture. We'd start taking the movie
Transformers more seriously. Or we would adjust our God picture in the way,
say, that the Enlightenment created Deism (the
clockmaker).

But even here, the dispute is simply one of what will win out in the future.
It's about prognostication. But yet it doesn't seem that the disputants know
this. It seems rather to be about something here and now, which isn't true.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University