[Wittrs] More ripples from Sean's lectures

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wittgenstein's Aftermath" <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:21:32 -0700

Taking time away from Quakers (might get there for social hour) to
write to Officer Bader and the Wittgenstein list, twixt April 26 and
29, our three days to get religious about a great guy (a not-so-jolly
good fellow).

I listened to Sean's lectures some more, up through the Lego (r)
theory of meaning, deliberately playful.

Sean, you do a great job bouncing off "is the pope Catholic?" / "are
all bachelors unmarried?" seemingly trick tautological questions,
mocking their mocking, poking holes in those certainties.

"Is the Pope a bachelor?" (he's a single male).  Was Jesus bachelor?
Some heretics say he got married, meaning he was.  What's a "bachelor"
really?

Fun watching the houses of cards tumble as meaning reverts to use,
what it was to begin with, and now moving on.  What does "married"
mean again?

One hopes tomorrow's lawyers don't blithely assume they can know it
all, somehow once and for all (the myth of a "nailed down" language).

Quaker / AFSC issue:  refugee Somali families, with different bodies
of law, showing up and needing to disavow one or more wives in a
deliberate way.

Seems tortuous, like "here, choose which arm to hack off".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/3945852143/  (anti-torture
sign, not currently mounted)

Should we flaunt "white man law" and allow non-nuclear families under
our care, such that so-and-so might say "husbands" or "wives" in the
plural in public?

We have those, still "in the closet", even now that we've gone through
the gay thing (our branch accepts "gay marriage" willy-nilly the
states' credos, which seem to flip flop like fish on the dock).

Anyway, I'm finding them entertaining, these lectures, to wit educational.

Back to the topic of Occupy, which we were discussing earlier, I offer
my review of the B Media Collective anthology.

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2012/04/occupation-nation-movie-review.html

I shouldn't have to say that this is about ethics, democracy vs.
tyranny, and therefore philosophical in nature.

However I'm also making the point the the language of film, studied
under "semiotics", provides great demonstrations of meaning through
use experiences.

Kirby

Letterhead:

Ministry of Education / OPDX