[Wittrs] Re: Hawkins in His Own Words

  • From: "swmaerske" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 22:24:21 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jrstern" <jrstern@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Stuart W. Mirsky" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
> >
> > Ah, glad to see you took the time to read it through, Josh. Out of
> > curiosity, why this strong aversion to Hawkins? It's only a set of ideas,
> > after all. He may or may not be right but he has offered some interesting
> > notions for the rest of us to chew on. -- SWM
>
> He has offered nothing new,
> and this repackaging of old stuff
> annoys me.  He's basically on a par
> with flat earthers and creationists.
> Really does not merit discussion
> though I suppose someone must, just
> to debunk it.
>
> As Barney Frank put it today, it's
> like having a discussion with the
> dining table.
>
> Josh

Well a lot of it looks new to me but then I am neither a computer maven nor
overly familiar with the literature here. I got into it only lately and through
philosophy, via Searle as you already know. I actually find some interesting
stuff in Hawkins and, for those who want to make a case as to why computers
might not be up to doing what Dennett thinks they should be able to do at some
point, it seems to me he is doing a better job of it than Edelman did.

Did you think Edelman's stuff was nothing new, too?

SWM