[Wittrs] Re: Group Moderation Policy -- Seeking Help

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 09:53:46 -0700

> 6.2  As Supreme Court justice Potter Stewart said in a
> similar situation, he had trouble defining pr0n, but said
> "I know it when I see it."

The morphing of the word "porn" (from pornography) into pr0n (using a
zero), as a tip of the hat to spam filters, spam assassins, is
interesting to me.  Of course spam filters might be reprogrammed
easily, so it's not really about technology, it's about people
spinning the word "porn" to fold in the meaning of "dodging
authorities" or something.  It changes the meaning, or brings out a
meaning -- not the word by itself though, you need the cultural
milieu.  You also need a literate readership sensitive to these
nuances.

For me, the effect is to read it as "prawn star" and then to think of
shrimp looking creatures.  The connotation of shrimp and shrimpy is
"not ready for prime time" as in "not mature enough to have real sex"
or even traffic in real porn apparently.  So "pr0n star" to me means
something like "a nerd pretending to be worldly, but hardly persuading
anyone."

Obviously I'm adding some spin of my own.  I'm the guy who thinks
"nerd" means "larval form of geek" with many nerds not lucky enough to
ever graduate to this higher geek form.  Here the connotation is more
like "good old boy" i.e. "never really became a man" and yes, there's
a sexist bent to it, in that when I think of immaturity, I more often
think of male examples than female, although when I put my mind to it,
I can think of both.

Kirby

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf