[Wittrs] Re: Does Wittgenstein refute himself

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:27:47 -0700

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:34 AM, brendan downs
<downs_brendan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For Wittgenstein, thought is inevitably tied to language, which is inherently
> social.Part of Wittgenstein's credo is captured in the following
> proclamation: "An 'inner process' stands in need of outward criteria. And
> Wittgenstein explicitly criticizes so-called conceivability arguments.
> Is it possible to conceive Wittgensteins Beetle with this criteria. I.e. with
> this criteria it is impossible to conceive something that is in a box called
> a beetle that is different to a what you have in your box called a beetle.
>
> Brendan

The words "credo" and "proclamation" jump out as non-Wittgensteinian in flavor.

The easy on-ramp to the later Wittgenstein is via the dismantling of
nominalism as a public space philosophy i.e. "this is that statue" is
an operation, not a jab with some pointer.  Language is not a jabber
(pointer).  This is the first insight or noble truth of the later
corpus.  Only when you've broken the back of nominalism completely
will you be ready for the so-called inner landscape (a fine metaphor,
reminds me of Italy, of Fodor ($5 a day is quite inexpensive)).

Kirby

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf
3 DAYS: http://alturl.com/d9vz