[Wittrs] Re: A computer ISA

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 18:56:37 -0700

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 4:34 PM, jrstern<jrstern@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kirby urner <kirby.urner@...> wrote:
>>
>> A computer is: a player piano, a doll house, a factory, a theater.
>
> Perhaps. And maybe ten million other things.
>
> And none of them at all, but something other,
> after all, it is exactly what it is.
>
> But that's not news.
>
> The question is, given whatever a computer "is",
> how does that relate to what we "is"?

My question is how to we effectively train up future generations to
use computers effectively i.e. these are questions about pedagogy (and
andragogy -- teaching adults as well as children).

Empowerment and control for humans, so they're able to make their
dreams come true, is a goal.

Figuring out what "the essence of a computer is" or "the essence of a
computer language" might not be as strong an opening, at least to me
seems less promising (not saying that's what your doing, though I
would like to skip to the end of the day and talk about your goals,
your purpose, vs. what you think might be the case about anything (I'm
more interested in motivations than science a lot of the time, as the
science will unconcsiously reflect motivations in a time-wasting way
if they're not made conscious in the first place)).

Kirby