[Wittrs] A Wittgenstein Primer

  • From: "Tony" <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 20:38:37 -0000

Now available on Kindle

A Wittgenstein Primer, 1984

Edited by Tony Lowes, M.A.

http://www.amazon.com/A-Wittgenstein-Primer-ebook/dp/B006LSDYGM

This book is a unique review of the works of Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 -
1951) through the selection of 139 entries from his works.

Ludwig Wittgenstein's influence has been felt in nearly every field of the
humanities and social sciences, yet there are widely diverging
interpretations of his thought. His position as one of most important
philosophers is evident by the way his works continue to influence
contemporary philosophers, especially those studying mind and language. His
later works suggest that conceptual confusions surrounding language use are
at the root of most philosophical problems.

Quixotic and enigmatic, funny and chilling, at times impatient and irascible
- even ecstatic - these excerpts bring alive the strange and rigorous
Austrian philosopher who resisted the publication of his own works in his
lifetime.

Drawing on what is now recognised as his central work, "Philosophical
Investigations", and the filing box of index cards he left behind on his
death (since published as "Zettle"), these 139 short excerpts contain enough
philosophy, wisdom - and poetry - to keep the reader thinking for a
lifetime.

As Wittgenstein remarks in the Primer, "I should not like my writing to
spare other people the trouble of thinking but, if possible, to stimulate
someone to thoughts of their own."

Tony Lowes

087 2176316  |  027 74771

SKYPE tonylowes