[wit-cs-announce] the mailing lists: usage and alternative communication

  • From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wit-cs-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 19:10:29 -0500

thello again,
Sorry for the vast amount of emails. A couple people weren't totally sure how mailing lists worked, so I wanted to kind of give a quick overview.

A mailing list is pretty much what it sounds like: a number of users are subscribed and emails can be sent to the list which go to everyone. Think of it kind of like a forum, where the email threads are the threads. Posting to wit-cs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx pretty much sends your message to everyone on the list. The announce list is different in that I (along with future admins) are the only ones that can post on it. So it's a moderately low traffic version.

The alternative which I just thought of after dealing with this list would be to use a forum. We could vote on that next meeting as well, but if there are problems or someone has alternative ideas, please let me know!

--
Take care,
Ty