[wisb] west of madison turkeys and eagles rule

  • From: robin stubbs <rfstubbs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:49:34 -0600

Went out hwy 14 west of Madison heading for the Arena boat landing.
Saw a bald eagle eating something in manure close to the road along the way.
Also many many turkeys in various places. Not much to see at the boat
landing which
was cold and windy, with little open water out on the Wisconsin River.
One red tail perched along the stream, and one extremely forlorn
looking great blue heron was actually standing right in the stream
(about a 1 block west of the bridge where there is some
construction/cable work being done.) That's one sad looking bird.

From Spring Green going east on hwy 60 we checked out the large eagle nest and
near it were 2 adult bald eagles. Maybe they are thinking about
nesting? Also in the
vicinity of the eagle nest I saw a rather bedraggled looking male blue
bird. Beautiful
nonetheless. Across the road from the eagle nest area were a great number
of wild turkeys.

Robin Stubbs, Madison, Dane, Wisconsin