[wisb] UW Arboretum today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:14:54 -0600

Since I didn't get to suffer hypothermia at Buena Vista today, I decided to go
for a long hike at the UW Arboretum instead.  With the icy snow, I had the
trails pretty much to myself - only saw one or two other people in nearly three
hours, other than joggers on the paved road.  I checked the springs along Lake
Wingra first - had about 50 Mallards and a few Gadwall at the Big Spring, and
around 3 dozen Robins and a dozen Cedar Waxwings farther east, feeding on
berries (either Elderberries or Buckthorn) out in the marsh.  Another dozen
Robins were feeding in the watercress in the next spring east.  Woodpeckers,
especially Downies, were particularly plentiful, as were WB Nuthatches and BC
Chickadees (I ended up with over 40 of the latter.)

I worked my way over towards the Lost City Forest, where I flushed a Great
Horned Owl from the trail (it's rare that I don't see or hear one there.)  Also
had a couple of Brown Creepers along the trail.  Finally had a Pileated WP fly
over as I neared the McKay Center.  There were scattered small flocks of
Turkeys all over, including a couple of pretty impressive toms with long beards
in the Longenecker Gardens, feeding under the crabapple trees.

After lunch, I ran down to McFarland before running errands.  There were a few
No. Shovelers and a Ruddy Duck at Babcock Park, and the Greater White-fronted
Goose was close off Lewis Park, with her three hybrid offspring.  All four of
them were keeping pretty close company with a Canada Goose - Dad?  Lots of
Tundra Swans and a few Mutes there, too.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.