[wisb] tips for seeing the BBWD at Sheboygan Marsh

  • From: Schroeder Carl <Carl.Schroeder@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 12:55:43 +0000

Based on Popp's, Murkowski's and my own experiences seeing the Black-bellied
Whistling-Duck a pattern seems to have emerged. The pond it is using is
apparently for overnight.  It has been seen arriving at the pond on two
occasions in the evening and leaving the pond one day at dawn. There are about
500 Wood Ducks and Mallards using this pond with the same routine. The birds
seem to depart between 6:30 and 7:30 am and return from 6:00 - 7:30 pm.  They
appear to be always coming to/from the extensive marshlands to the north.  The
BBWD has been seen in flight within a flock of Mallards and can be picked out
easily with binoculars.  But on the water it is more difficult to find, half
the pond is obscured by cattails and grasses. And at the distance from the
observation point you'd need a scope to pick it out.  All the ducks are very
alert and skittish and even at 500 yards they'll take flight if someone makes a
strong movement.

As for looking for it midday, I've tried two approaches unsuccessfully.  Davor
and I hiked from the School Road area north and east along the canal system but
the ducks don't seem to be using the canals, and the vegetation is so thick you
can't see much anyway.  We also canoed into the center of the marsh, which was
very pleasant (saw dozens of Black Terns and a Least Bittern) but there is very
little open water so it would be surprising if you came across it that way.
The tower is 2 miles from the banding site and 4 from the pond so that is not
recommended either.  Having said that, you might get lucky trying one of these
methods and have fun trying.

Directions to the pond. On the south side of the Sheboygan Marsh area, take Cty
Rd C to School Rd. Go north on School Road 2 miles to it's end. Park near the
gate. Walk around the gate to the east along a two-track road about 1/5 mile to
the top of a hill. The pond can then be seen ~1/4 mile to the north near the
treeline. If you try to approach the pond it will disappear from view due to
the tall grasses, besides, unless you are extremely stealthy you'll probably
spook any ducks that are there and inhibit others from landing.

Carl Schroeder
Kiel, Manitowoc County