[wisb] New birder with a gull ID question

  • From: Robert McLure <rcmclure@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 09:08:19 -0500

I found this young gull at South Shore yacht club in Bay View.  It was
sitting about 10 yards away from the small group of ring-billed gulls at
the site and it let me get incredibly close.  I think it might have
something stuck to one of it's feet, but it wouldn't let me get close
enough to take it off.  Please pardon the poor photography, but as best I
can tell, based on the pattern on the body, the orange looking feet, and
the all black bill -  this is a juvenile Thayer's gull.  If this helps any
it also appeared to be a little larger than the surrounding adult
ring-billed gulls.  I'm very new at birding and not very confident in my
identification skills, so if someone knows that I'm either right or wrong
on this, I would really appreciate any corrections, advice, etc.
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff402/rmclure/photo-6.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff402/rmclure/photo-7.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff402/rmclure/photo-8.jpg

Thanks!