[wisb] Re: rare vagrants likely this week?

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iltlawas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 09:37:07 -0500

Odd that Bill mentioned this - I just saw that there is a Great-tailed Grackle
being seen in a large mixed flock of blackbirds in Carver Co., MN (just
southwest of the Twin Cities.)  There is certainly the possibility that it
worked its way up the Mississippi and then down the Minnesota River valley.

And, as I like to remind everyone, the Fork-tailed Flycatcher at Patrick Marsh
near Sun Prairie showed up ten years ago this week (the most aggravating "miss"
of my three decades of birding - I lived ten minutes away from there and waited
a day too long... sigh.)  Looking at the three records for this species in
Wisconsin, we seem to be due for our "once every ten years" sighting (1978,
1988, 2000.)

I'm either hopeful or delusional...

Peter Fisse
Madison, Dane Co.