[wisb] Re: oregon junco id - middleton, wi

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 13:25:34 -0600

Sunil-
I believe your bird is of the Oregon population of Dark-eyed Junco. The
sharply contrasting hood which is convex on the breast, and at least in
these photos, a uniformly dark hood make it seem like a classic Oregon
Junco.
I have no experience with Pink-sided Junco, but from Birds of North America,
what you should see is a pearly gray head with a bluish-gray cast, the chin
and throat should be paler gray than the rest of the head, and the darker
lores should contrast with the rest of the hood. These characteristics are
also depicted in the "big" Sibley guide published in 2000, if you have it.
Your bird shows none of the Pink-sided characteristics noted above.

Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County