[wisb] off topic---alligator gar

  • From: "Seegert, Greg" <gseegert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 23:34:02 -0400

All
In re to Alligator gar I forgot to mention that a record one was recently
caught in Mississippi.  It was 327 # and about 8.5 ft long.  Google world
record alligator gar and you should find the story.  This is the largest one in
at least 50 years.  I saw a mounted one that weighed about 260 # that was
caught about 50 years ago.  There is a photo in Fishes of TN of one from over
100 years ago that was estimated to be 10' long.  It is one of the few
freshwater fishes that occurs east of the Miss R that I have never collected.
Except in TX and LA, it is rare and is a listed species in several states.
Occasionally there are reports from southern IN or southern IL but most reports
from these areas turn out to be bogus.

Greg Seegert
Deerfield, IL