[wisb] off topic spiders in snow

  • From: Jeffrey Bahls <jbahls@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 09:42:45 -0600

Just relaying what feedback I have been getting from the spiders.
The place I saw them was a flooded frozen sedge meadow along the
Beaver Dam River in Dodge County. At first I saw one and thought it
must have melted out of the ice but with each couple of steps I would
see more and more, some still, others just barely moving. Not much for
birdlife there but something could have filled it's belly on them. .
Um, it is safe to say I am NOT going to abandon birding for spider
listing. Regardless a neat experience.  Thanks to all that responded.
 Comments below

They aren't always easy to id, plus most don't have common names. If
no one comes up with anything, try http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740
-

I think these are wolf spiders that you saw.  They spend the winter
under snow in WI and are occasionally observed on the snow's surface.
According to my spider guide, the name "wolf" spider comes from Europe
where they were once believed to hunt (for female spiders) in packs.
Wolf spiders - family Lycosidae

I saw your spider post and thought I could help a little.  Based off
of your one picture, I think that your spider looks like it belongs to
the Agelenidae, Anyphaenidae, Gnaphosidae, or Liocranidae genus.  It's
hard to tell, but this site has all of the Wisconsin spider-species
listed: http://spiders.entomology.wisc.edu/

Jeff Bahls
Lowell Wi
Dodge Co