[wisb] odd spring/summer in FDL Co

  • From: "Lori Inderdahl" <dinderdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bird emails" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 23:22:28 -0500

17 years at our house and 3 sightings of Eastern Bluebirds in my yard. On
June 17th, we noticed both male & female near a house normally occupied by
House Sparrows. They are VERY busy feeding babies. (I can hear them peeping
when I put mealworms in their newly erected feeding dish.) I hung a
decorative house out front as an afterthought and Chickadees moved in. They
are now running themselves ragged with feedings. Downy Woodpeckers drilled
a new hole in a dying flowering crab and at least one baby has been visiting
the peanut feeder with mom, along with White-breasted Nuthatches.
Red-bellied Woodpeckers are living in the neighbors' tree but eating my
peanuts as fast as I can fill the feeders. They have to contend with
Grackle families. After at least a month of absence, Baltimore Oriole males
started showing up. I rehung and filled the jelly dishes. The last couple
days, one has been feeding a juvenile. They seem pretty skittish though.
Yesterday morning, there was a Rose-breasted Grosbeak here. Last night he
was feeding a young one who stayed up in the tree. About an hour after they
left, a female showed up and ate alone. A Gray Catbird made a quick
appearance and a Brown Thrasher popped in twice. House, Chipping and Song
Sparrows have been parenting. Oddly enough, I have yet to see a baby Amer.
Robin or Mourning Dove young. All the regulars are around...5 Blue Jays at
a time...possibly some young?, N. Cardinals, House and Amer, Goldfinches and
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds. Had a flyover of 5 Sandhill Cranes and 3 Amer.
White
Pelicans. A Cooper's Hawk has taken care of some of the rabbits.
Each day seems to bring something new. What a year so far!!

Lori Inderdahl
Rosendale, FDL Co.