[wisb] Re: Fw: Red-breasted Grosbeak at feeder tonight [Richland County]

  • From: Richter Museum <richter@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'sgswiggum@xxxxxxx'" <sgswiggum@xxxxxxx>, 'Wisconsin Birding List' <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 14:24:10 +0000

Our Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were here for short periods most of nesting season.
Now that young are out we have 4-5 adult males with lots of young coming to
feeders too. The House and Purple Finches were about a week ahead of the
Rose-breasted in returning. They are also both back with their young. Observed
a male Rose-breasted a few weeks ago stop at a hanging pan sunflower feeder,
drop the green caterpillar it was carrying, eat a few sunflower seeds, then
pick up his caterpillar and fly off to feed young. Diet being fed young in
nest is quite different then what we supply at feeders.
Tom Erdman, Oconto.