[wisb] nighthawks over Oshkosh

  • From: Paul Bruce <birdsandfish49@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 17:55:06 -0700 (PDT)

Good Tuesday evening folks --    My Migration Station has officially opened up
it's doors,
and windows, if you will, as a series of birds have been drifting thru my
neighborhood as of
late.  Just in my trees here over the past few days I've had warblers, one
redstart for sure,
possibly some Tennessees by ID without binocs. And among them was also a
red-breasted
nuthatch.  Tonight, fresh off the press, an estimation of 110 nighthawks, in 2
flocks!  Both around
80 and then a 30. Very strangely though they were drifting northeastward?!  A
few swifts were
heading south, plus a few unIDed swallows.  So here we go, I always have
thought the nighthawks
to be an official harbinger of the Fall migration.  What can we do?
  Good luck and hope someone gets a rarity, nice job up north getting that
'Crex' Kite,
   Paul Bruce