[wisb] netting

  • From: Mariette Nowak <mmnowak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Cathy Dermody <cdermody@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 11:44:25 -0500

Hi Cathy,
  I'm happy to see that you've put up netting.  We have netting on 12 of our
windows, where the birds are most likely to hit and we have decals on the
others.

As you probably know the netting should be taut and about 6 in. from the
window.    We keep it up all year, which I recommend.  Songbirds can be chased
by hawks and accidentally fly toward windows any time of year.

As for hummingbirds, once a hummer was caught between the window and net, but
found its way out again.  Another small bird (I think it was a goldfinch)  was
also caught once, but soon found its way out.  There has never been a casualty
with a bird getting caught on or in the netting.  We have a hummingbird feeder
hanging from the eaves just outside the net.

The netting eventually picks up spider webs and other bits.  I take down the
netting when we wash the windows and rinse them out in soapy water in a bucket
outside and hang them on a line to dry before putting up again.  That's a bit
of a pain, but it's worth it.  We've had the netting up about 6 years or more
and have found only one casualty below a netted window.  It was a flicker and
perhaps, being a large bird, the netting didn't protect it enough and it hit
the window nonetheless.  Perhaps the netting was not taut enough.  We adjusted
that afterword.

All the best,

Mariette