[wisb] Nelson's Sparrows - La Crosse

  • From: Matt Paulson <matpaulson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 17:06:23 -0400 (EDT)

After trying several locations in the past week I finally found a spot that
yielded Nelson's Sparrows. This afternoon I put on the hip boots and trudged
through the marshy MVC property behind the Old Country Buffet. After flushing
dozens of Swamp Sparrows, a few Yellowthroats, and some Marsh Wrens I made my
way to a large area of sedge with a few inches of standing water where I found
4 separate NELSON'S SPARROWS! This sedge area is in the middle of the
marshy/grassy property a long ways off the trail. If anyone tries for it, they
were all in the sedge patch on the north side of the only stand of wild rice in
this marsh.
Matt Paulson
La Crosse