[wisb] gulls Mil and north

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisb" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:15:00 -0600

 I started south of the bridge in Milwaukee. In the river I only found herring
gulls on the ice. Looking out from the mouth of the river there was very little
open water, except at the opening between the breakwaters. Although very
distant I could see an imm. glaucous and a possible Thayer's.
 Up at North Point I saw a 2nd or 3rd year Iceland flying about north past the
soccer field. I went down to the lake at Shorewood, but didn't see anything
different there. Same at Capital, Buckley and Klode parks. At Doctor's Park I
had 1 adult Thayer's and 2 Iceland. One was an adult and the other a 3rd
winter. All nice views.
 At Vimond Park I had nice looks at an adult Thayer's.
 Other than the kittiewake, there wasn't anything other than ring-billed and
herring gulls in the harbor, at Port Washington.
 I did look at waterfowl, but didn't find any scoters or long-tailed ducks.
 Although there were some gulls in the area, none were loafing by Menards in
Johnson Creek.
Steve Thiessen Stoughton dane co.