[wisb] Schliessman Rd. Wilson's Snipe (Columbia Co.)

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 20:33:30 -0600

I took a backroads route to Oshkosh this a.m., going by way of Rio in Columbia
Co. to look for the reported Wilson's Snipe on Schliessman Rd. north of town.
I stopped by Roelke Creek a half-mile north of Taylor Rd. and scanned the open
creek and marshy areas several times, before finally spotting three Snipe
hunkered down at the edge of the creek east of the road.  Other birds there
included an Am. Robin, a perched Red-tail across the field to the northwest,
and a soaring Bald Eagle to the east (probably a third-year.)

While winding around roads east of Pardeeville, I found a flock of Juncos at
the intersection of County Hwys P & SS.  A couple of them looked to be towards
the "Oregon" end of the plumage spectrum - very distinct hoods and brownish
sides.

(It was stunning to see the tornado damage along SS south of there - I hadn't
been up that way for a couple of years.  Amazing how nearly every tree of any
size was snapped off or missing limbs.)

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.