[wisb] Re: got swifts? Yes! Madison, Dane Co.

  • From: Tuftedtitmouse2@xxxxxxx
  • To: sfuller49@xxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 22:20:42 EDT

Hello Wisbirders,
Thanks to tips about swift roosts in Madison  from Sandy and  Diane, last
Monday we were able to locate some CHIMNEY SWIFTS and release our
captive-raised orphaned swifts into a wild flock.

Diane had told us about swifts still roosting in stacks at the MG&E  power
plant and Sandy had told us about a flock roosting at Blessed Sacrament
Parish.  We got to Madison late-morning, so we were not too surprised to  not
see any swifts at either of these roost locations, nor at the Science
Building at UW, where Mandy, one of the rehabilitators on this trip, remembered

seeing large flocks of roosting swifts during her college days.
Fortunately, we had spotted a few swifts over Madison East High School on East
Washington Avenue while we were on the way to the other locations.  We
back-tracked to the school and were delighted to find about a dozen swifts
foraging
over the surrounding neighborhood.

A weedy, open field across the street afforded us the perfect spot to
release our swifts.  Our seven rescued "kids" zoomed out of their transport
enclosure and immediately took to coursing tirelessly over the fields,  joined
quickly by the "wild" swifts.

We stayed to watch the festivities for a half-hour or so, savoring the
success.  The resident swifts should show our guys the ropes and lead them  to
good foraging and roosting areas, and ultimately...Peru!

Thanks also to the e-Birders who entered their swift sightings into e-Bird
recently.  I used your reported sightings to help plan the release of these
 swifts.  But ultimately, it was Sandy and Diane's tips that led us to
Madison and a successful release.

Regards,

Scott Diehl
State and Federally-licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator
Richfield, Washington Co, and Milwaukee

In a message dated 9/26/2010 7:43:10 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
sfuller49@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Hi,
As of this evening (Sunday), there is still a large flock  (several hundred)
of swifts roosting at Blessed Sacrament parish, 2116  Hollister, Madison.
They put on quite an air show before dropping in the  chimney near the
parish parking lot, at about 7 pm.
Sandy  Fuller
Verona, Dane County

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 11:36 PM,  <Tuftedtitmouse2@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello All,
> I know  some fellow wildlife rehabilitators that are looking for CHIMNEY
> SWIFT  flocks into which they can release captive-raised orphaned swifts
in
>  the
>  next two days.  I can, of course, see what has been  reported on e-Bird,
> but  did any of you see swifts today that you  haven't yet been submitted
> e-Bird?
>
> I don't see any  reports for this month on e-Bird of large flocks of
swifts
> in SE  WI.  Has anyone been seeing flocks utilizing chimneys in SE WI in
the
>  last couple of days?
>
> I recall seeing reports  of large flocks of swifts on or near the
UW-Madison