[wisb] Re: deceased Estabrook bluebirds: RFI West Nile connection?

  • From: betsyacorn@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:21:12 -0400 (EDT)

I just read the report on finding two deceased BBs at Estabrook.  I wonder if
it's worth it to (try to) refind and bring them in to the Humane Society or UW
for necropsy?  If they haven't been taken by scavengers, of course...

 I've brought two birds in over the last week.  One was an emaciated Great
Horned Owl found in Muskego, and last night, a gull.  The GHOW succumbed later
in the day, and the intake person at the Humane Society reported that they
suspected West Nile, as they'd been seeing cases of it recently.  I was
surprised, thinking that the drought would have delivered a blow to the virus
and mosquitos this year. I understand the south and SE are seeing particularly
high incidence.

Perhaps Scott Diehl or UW folk could elaborate on this?

Betsy Abert
South Milwaukee, SE Milw Co.