[wisb] Re: bluebird checking out nest box

  • From: "Kent" <kentsue@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ilona100@xxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 13:12:00 -0600

Ilona's message about this harbinger of spring, reminded
me that there are dozens of people who belong to this
list that have nest boxes but are not reporting their produc-
tion to me.

For the past three years, Wisconsin has led the nation in
production of bluebirds from reported, artificial nest boxes.
I invite any of you to join our ranks (Bluebird Restoration
Association of Wisconsin).

The most common myth out there is that opening a nest
box automatically causes the hen and rooster to abandon
it and seek another nesting site.  So not true.  In fact, Ann
Wick of Black Earth has handled and banded thousands
of bluebirds and has never experienced any problems
that I know of--and you need not even handle the eggs
or birds during your monitoring.

The experience of monitoring nest boxes is something
that anyone interested in birding should experience for a
better understanding of the reproductive process and the
environmental problems birds face.  Moreover, we are
working with hundreds of students in the state that are
being "hooked on cavity nesting song birds" and gaining
a connection to nature.

If you are interested in monitoring boxes or starting your
own nest box trail (for trails of 10 or more boxes, BRAW
donates boxes and mounting posts), you have three options:
1) contact me and I will send you a pdf file of monitoring
forms  2) you can visit braw.org /starting a trail/Informational
Packet (for monitoring guidelines) or 3) if you are interested
but wary of assuming responsibility for a trail, let me know
and I will put you in touch with a monitor in your area of the
state that will show you the ropes--if you make a decision
to take on a trail after that experience,  I can help you put it
in, in late summer or fall.

Bluebird monitors reported to me on 8,700 nest boxes last
season. With your help, we might hit 10,000 boxes and produce
30,000 bluebirds (plus another 15,000 Tree Swallows, wrens
& chickadees) for the 2010 season.

If you are ready to catch the fever, contact me.

Kent D. Hall, Ph.D., V-P & Coordinator of
Data Collection, BRAW
200 Pine Bluff Rd.
Stevens Point 54482
(715) 344-8081/ kentsue@xxxxxxxxxxx