[wisb] belated AK rpt

  • From: "Seegert, Greg" <gseegert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 21:54:35 -0400

Wisbirders
Last Tuesday, I returned from a trip to AK.  Except for the last day, the only
birds I saw were ones that I observed while I was fishing but I still managed
to see a few decent birds.  Here's my report.

Mon, 9 Aug---I had a few hrs before my friend arrived so I went to the Coastal
trail on the edge of Anchorage where I saw a few Hudsonian godwits, mew gulls
and my only arctic tern of the trip.  Also a few BB magpies....a bird I saw
almost every day.

Tues---We were fishing on the Kenai R and I saw nothing of note.

Wed---At Anchor Pt near the southern tip of the Kenai Peninsula, I saw several
flocks of WW scoters.

Th---In Homer, I saw northwestern crow and RN pheasant,  which was my only new
AK bird for the trip.  During our offshore fishing trip in Kachemak Bay and
beyond, I saw pelagic cormorant, short-tailed shearwater, RN phalarope,
glaucous-winged gull, BL kittiwake, common murre, pigeon guillemot, marbled
murrelet, Kittlitz's murrelet, rhinoceros auklet, tufted puffin, horned puffin.

Fri-We did a nature cruise out of Seward and saw most of the above-listed
seabirds plus ancient murrelet.  I saw a likely parakeet auklet but it
disappeared into a rock crevice before I could confirm the ID.

Sat---During our fishing trip out of Seward, I again saw this same suite of
seabirds.

Sun---Nothing new while fishing on the Kenai R.  After I dropped my friend at
the airport in Anchorage, I found a pr of Pacific loons on Goose L in town.
Along Ship Creek, also in town, I saw a dipper and a boreal chickadee.

Mon---At Arctic Ski Valley, just outside of Anchorage, I saw a sooty fox
sparrow and a golden-crowned sparrow.

BTW....fishing was pretty good.  On the rivers, we caught many pink salmon and
a few (10 or so) silver salmon.  On our trip out of Homer, we limited out on
ling cod and halibut (my friend got one 84#).  Out of Seward, we again limited
out on Halibut, as well as silvers.  Between the 2 of us, we brought back about
200# of fillets.

Greg Seegert
Deerfield, IL