[wisb] Nighthawks over Marinette

  • From: Andrew Reimer <andrew.reimer21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:29:05 -0500

Was driving south on Hwy. 180 along the Menominee River around 3:30pm when I
noticed a horizontal column of Common Nighthawks winding their way parallel
to the river toward the south-southeast low over cornfields.  Pulled off on
a sideroad where my son and I sat underneath and counted over 100 as
the flock migrated overhead.  Saw another 50 or so spill across the Michigan
border a little further down the road.
That was just a good start...

Then, while back at my parents home in the city of Marinette, another 200+
passed over as we rolled brats across the grill.  They were at all heights
in the air as the whirling mass slowly worked its way south toward the Bay.
After they had passed, another 25 came over at tree-top level heading west,
inexplicably, as if they had some sort of appointment.  Helped to make for a
most enjoyable cook-out!

Andrew Reimer
Darboy (Appleton), Calumet County (usually)