[wisb] Re: Yet another idea about posting owl locations

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 06:14:45 -0800 (PST)

That first link is bad. It should be:

http://www.aba.org/bigday/ethics.pdf

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee
--- On Wed, 2/16/11, William Mueller <iltlawas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: William Mueller <iltlawas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Yet another idea about posting owl locations
To: "wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, February 16, 2011, 11:27 PM

It is useful (thanks, Peter) to be reminded once again that posting locations
of roosting owls is potentially harmful and at the very least potentially
stressful for the owls. I'm not eager to start another round of arguments about
whether everyone needs to concur on what constitutes ethical behavior for
birders.(If you haven't followed the endless recent discussion on baiting Snowy
Owls on the IL birding listserv, you may not have noticed how these discussions
- and behavior - can upset a lot of people).  We don't all have to agree; and
maybe a little disagreement isn't a bad thing.
But periodically I feel the need to share the following information, anyway -
please at least consider the information contained in the following linked
pages.

http://www.aba.org/bigday/ethics.pd

http://www.wisconsinbirds.org/ethicalstandards.htm

http://www.birdingmaine.com/rare-species-and-birding-ethics.htm