[wisb] Some notes from Oshkosh, 1 urgent !!

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 23:07:12 -0800 (PST)

    Good late evening folks  ---   It's been interesting lately around here.
 Nothing too rare or anything but yet one gull sighting as of late was rather
peculiar and curious.  What looked like a Herring, with which it was flying
with, this bird had not only black primaries but black 2ndaries as well.  I was
driving so I was unable to stop for further identification, but I found this
bird very weird. Does that sort of ID mark mean anything to anyone?  That's all
I know.  Guess what I did that I haven't done in about 5 years?  ICE-FISHED !!
 Got a few bites in our Miller's Bay on Tuesday, but that wasn't the
excitement, but to see maybe just 10 gulls passing by our site and 1 of them
just happened to be a Great Black-back, a 3yr bird.  Wasn't completely dark
mantled, but the size was noticeable with the herrings at about 150 feet away!!
 Nice binocular view.  One lone snow bunting flew by, too, but not at that
point. That was later.  A
  chickadee was even present on the island, found that interesting.      Had a
Titan encounter of  a very different kind.   From my BATHROOM window !!!!!!! I
was thinking that should've  been him, right?  But it definitely was a heavy
looking falcon, maybe it was even Sparta, whom I haven't seen in a while.
Wondering what's up with that?    Birds were really singin' it up today with
this melting. 2 cardinals, at least 3 house finches,  1 junco trilling down the
street, the yay-yay-yay-yay of a nuthatch, downy woodpecker 'peek'-ing a
drilling.  Sounded nice. Even those goofy starlings trying to fool me.   Pretty
soon Mourning doves.  Hopefully Thursday.   Enjoy your birding, things are
''looking up''........lol   Oshkosh, Paul Bruce