[wisb] Re: Yellow-crowned Night Heron

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 08:27:22 -0500

I seem to recall Rob Pendergast reporting both immature and adult
Yellow-crowneds at Grand River Marsh in Green Lake County in July.

I was discussing this with Bernie Sloan last night - I can't recall
having Yellow-crowned Night Herons reported from so many counties in the
same year, at least as long as I've been active in Wisconsin birding.
In addition to Milwaukee, Dodge, and Green Lake, Quentin Yoerger had one
in Rock, and I had a probable one in Green (at Albany W.A.)  Seems like
there may have been another one or two that I'm forgetting.

And yet, the only Little Blue Heron report I can recall was very early,
from Potosi Landing in Grant County... strange, especially since they're
being reported from all around us.  Have to be some out there, somewhere...

Peter Fissel
Madison WI