[wisb] Wyalusing State Park this AM, 10 sp of Warbler

  • From: Alex Stark <thearctictern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 19:28:35 -0500

Hello all,
On a side note, I stepped outside after reading Chris's post last night and
heard 30 birds in 5 minutes!!! And this was over my house in Prairie du
Chien...
After that I decided that I have to go to Wyalusing State Park in the
morning.
It was an amazing morning to be at Wyalusing! I had to work at 9 AM so I
arrived at Point Lookout at 5:30 AM. As I sat at the point I heard flocks of
birds flying by me in the dark. By the time there was a little bit of light
I was able to hear Great-crested Flycatchers, Eastern-wood Pewee's (TONS),
Bald Eagles, Red-shouldered Hawks, Great Horned Owl and Barred Owls. The
interesting thing is that when there was enough light to see migrating
birds, all of the birds were *below* the lookout point. The migrant warblers
that I did see were at point-blank range at the tip of the lookout or low in
the tree's closeby. In the 2 1/2 hours that I sat at the lookout I spotted
10 species of warblers such as Tennessee, Orange-crowned, Nashville, Yellow,
Chestnut-sided, Black-throated Green, Magnolia, Blackburnian, Black and
White and American Redstart. A few other species of note were a few
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and an Eastern Towhee. Not a bad start to fall
migration...

Also...the Wisconsin River and Mississippi River are pretty muddy and also
high. There was no shorebird habitat (sandbars) to scope but there was alot
of dabbling duck habitat due to the high water. Unfortunately I didn't have
enough time to scope due to lack of time and bug spray. If anyone is heading
to Wyalusing anytime soon, BRING BUG SPRAY!

Bird On,
Alex Stark, Prairie du Chien, Crawford County