[wisb] Wyalusing AND Willets in LaCrosse

  • From: Gwyn Calvetti <gwyntells@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 21:04:27 -0500

I headed down to Wyalusing today to see what I could find.  It was fairly
quiet...and damp!...but I spent about 6 hours hiking various trails in the
park and enjoying every minute of it.  Henslows and Towhees were the stars
near the observatory.  I did hear Yellow Throated Warblers on the nature
trail heading for the painted cave and got a glimpse of them, too.  Big
treat was a pair of calling Barred Owls just above the cave, very close but
tough to spot with the leaf cover.  They were quite chatty though, around
noon.
Other warblers were Yellow Rumped, Black Throated Green, Pine and Cerulean.
 I also spotted a Cerulean on my way back to the highway.  Just after
crossing that fancy bridge near the riverway sign, I spotted one grabbing
bugs alongside the hillside on the right.  Took me a minute to register
that it wasn't really a bluebird or Indigo Bunting I was seeing.  Also hear
Red Shouldered Hawk from above, down in the bottomlands.  The wildflowers
throughout the park are a real treat right now, tons and tons of shooting
star.  I also found two yellow ladyslippers on a higher portion of the
Sugar Maple Trail as it follows Long Valley Road.

  The sun had finally come out as I got closer to LaCrosse, so I thought
I'd check for the Lark Sparrows seen on Fisherman's Road along the Black
River.  No luck on those, but I was treated to about 30 Willets working the
shoreline along the beach.  Lifer for me and lots of fun to watch.

Gwyn Calvetti
LaCrosse County

--
Gwyn Calvetti