[wisb] Winter Birds

  • From: Hilary Ford <khilaryf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Doorcobirding <doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:33:30 -0800 (PST)

Happy New Year to All,
With lots of snow and the frigid temperatures and a husband who broke his arm
the day after Christmas there is more feeder watching than birding going on!

Birds are sporadic but at times there are 3 dozen Pine Siskins and about 10
Goldfinches, 3 B/C Chickadees, 2 each of W.B. Nuthatches and R.B. Nuthatches, 1
Downy, 1 Hairy and 1 Red Bellied Woodpecker, and an occasional Mourning Dove.
Three Crows sometimes try for the peanuts.  There have been no Blue Jays for
about a month, and no Cardinals, though there was a late brood of three
juveniles going into November.  The Siskins are not present every day -
sometimes just a few and sometimes in great numbers.  There have been no
Redpolls yet.  We still see an occasional Bald Eagle flying overhead
(yesterday) but no other raptors and sadly no Rough-legged Hawks.  Northern
Door is very quiet with the bays freezing up.  Going past Ephraim Harbor on
Thursday for a doctor check up on the arm, there was one small opening there
with masses of duck crammed into it, but on the return journey they had gone -
they were so black I thought maybe Coots, but as the
 driver with a car behind me, I could not stop to check.

Roll on longer days and a thaw.

Hilary Ford, Ellison Bay, Door Co.