[wisb] Whooping crane news

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:30:23 -0600

I was checking the Operation Migration journal and the top item is some sad
news.  Another whooping crane shot, apparently late last month.  Pretty
depressing, given that they have enough problems without this kind of thing.

But on the population generally, it looks like they're now looking at new sites
for the cranes outside of Necedah (Horicon Marsh?) due to the black fly
problem.  Apparently they'll have something to say about possible sites as
early as April.  And they will not be releasing more birds into Necedah, though
they'll continue to see if they can help the birds with nesting there.
Interesting stuff.  However, apparently Operation Migration did not concur with
the report in full for reasons not specified.  We had someone from the
Wisconsin Natural Resources Foundation speak at the Waukesha bird club a few
months ago who talked about this.  My impression is that the birds already in
WI who are trained to fly to Necedah could not be retrained, so they'd have to
sort of start the wheel over with the new site, so to speak with "new" birds.
Anyone have any thoughts on that?

The journal, including links to the report, etc... are here:

http://www.operationmigration.org/Field_Journal.html

But hope this is a step in the right direction.  Wouldn't it be cool if they
found a new site that didn't have the nest abandonment problems?

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.