[wisb] Whooper Swan Yesterday

  • From: Robert Bucci <rbucci@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 08:27:27 -0500

Darrell Schiffman and I made a run to Beaver Dam yesterday afternoon to
see the Whooper Swan. It was sleeping on the grass about 25 yards from
the edge of the pond when we arrived. It eventually woke up, stood and
stretch before walking to the edge of the pond where it stopped to
drink. For those looking for evidence of the origin of this bird, both
rear toes where intact. Speaking of the legs, they look massive compared
to the geese also at the pond.

One other thing that we found interesting was that the lower bill also
is yellow and black. The yellow is on the center of the bill and we
could only see it when the swan was feeding and dipping its head in and
out of the water while facing away from us.

A beautiful bird that swam and glided across the pond with the grace one
expects from a swan.

Darrell has approximately 150 pictures to sort through, hopefully some
will show details of interest.

Bob Bucci
Madison, Dane