[wisb] White-tailed Kite still present this afternoon (Adams County)

  • From: "Dar Tiede" <crepuscular@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 19:12:53 -0500

We had good views of the bird this afternoon between 2:30 and 4:30 south of
Apache Ave between County W and 6th.  We first searched the area from W west
on Apache for the first 3/4 of a mile or so with no luck.  Then a kite
guide, kite whisperer named Mike (missed last name, but not Reese) drove by
and led us to the object of our search.  The kite was perched south of
Apache but further west than most recent reports - about 1-1/4 miles west of
W (about 3/4 mile east of 6th).  Later the bird moved and we relocated it
about 1/2 mile back to the east where it has been more frequently reported.
We helped another couple get on the bird before we left the area.  What a
wonderful fall afternoon - Owens Rock looked splendid in fall colors.

Dar and Cath Tiede
Appleton