[wisb] White-tailed Kite

  • From: Paul Schwalbe <p.g6schwalbe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birdnet, Wis" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 13:50:03 -0500

Dear Birders:
We watched the White-tailed Kite Monday, 30 Sept, from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
We immediately found it in a snag about 1/2 mile south of Apache Ave.  The
snag was not near any others, but west of the first group visible as you
travel west on Apache from W.   From Apache it was just a small blob, a
silhouette, too far for anything much to be seen.  So we and a couple of
other cars went to Archer Ave, a mile south of Apache.  From there it was
still a half mile away (north), but with the sun to our backs, we could see
it had a white breast and dark wings, but not enough to really identify it,
at least not with our bins or scope.
Three  birders walked north a little ways into the Leola Marsh to get a
closer look, and from that point they could see the black shoulder and gray
wings in addition to the white underparts, enough for a good ID.

Amazing, and in Wisconsin!

Thanks Quentin!

Good birding....................   Paul & Glenna

--
Paul & Glenna Schwalbe
Pardeeville, Columbia Co.